"New" filter broken?

There are three filters on the search page: New, Creative, Relevant.

For me at the moment, searches returned in 'New' are the same as in 'Relevant'. They are neither the newest photographed nor the latest uploaded.

Anyone else? 

They bring up different results for me but I think it might depend upon what you're searching for. You'd think 'New' would be pretty reliable but goodness knows how it is decided what goes into 'Creative' and 'Relevant' and in what order, algorithms I suppose. Not sure Creative & Relevant have ever been particularly useful filters for anyone searching, in recent times anyway. 

What I do is I key in my name only in advance search.

The 'New' tab used to bring my newest uploaded images. Someone mentioned that recently, it seems to have changed to 'date taken' which would be fine by me, except that it doesn't do that for me. 

I've played a bit more with it and that's what I see:

In advance search: 

name only = 'New' and 'Relevant' are the same. But 'New' is neither newest uploaded nor newest taken.

name + one keyword = 'New' is still stuck on an old set, 'Relevant' brings different pictures.

The mystery deepens. Not that it matters much but it used to be an easy way to see my latest uploads. Looking at them in AIM is not the same.

Only a spot check, but for me

name only = 'Relevant' and 'Creative' results are identical, 'New' puts more recent images first.

name + one keyword = 'Relevant' and 'Creative' results are identical, 'New' puts more recent images first.

name + two keywords = 'Relevant' and 'Creative' results are identical, 'New' puts more recent images first.

I haven't checked whether my 'New' sort order is based on date of upload, or date taken, or date when they went on sale (keywording delay...), as in my case that wouldn't alter the order much at the moment.

It's difficult to work out why images appear in the order they do as sometimes hidden or unexpected factors can have a massive effect. For example, I once tried to control the order in which a batch of my images of Loweswater appeared by careful use of where I put Loweswater in caption, tag and supertag. I wanted, what I deemd to be the best image to appear first. So I put "Loweswater" in all three on that image. But, whatever I did, image EC1Y0D appeared first. After discussion with Alamy it was revealed that this image appeared first because it had been previousy zoomed using "Loweswater" as the search term,  and that was given a higher weighting than any combination of "Loweswater" in tags, supertags and caption. I notice today that this is still happening...

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

OK, looking at just one's own images does simplify it a little, I have far fewer images but for me New & Relevant do seem to be the same, i.e. most recently shot first, with the order shuffled slightly, probably because it is sorted on just Date Taken, rather than time of day. Creative is a bit strange as some of mine have risen to the top and I find it very hard to believe that any human being would have curated them. 

We're not seeing the same things. I think the subject matter might be affecting the results? Maybe only some subjects have been "curated"?

Although I have a feeling my results changed as I experimented (you may have noticed I just edited my earlier post). Maybe browser chaching is affecting it too in some weird way. Or maybe just my mistake.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I ignore 'Creative' because we know it's curated or at least used to be.

So it's very strange that different people see different things in 'New' vs 'Relevant'.

I think an e-mail to CR is in order. Just out of curiosity. No big deal.

Thanks guys for checking.

A search for Amsterdam: New, Creative and Relevant are different.

London: different.

Haarlem: different.

The filter only works if there is enough data to work with.

Photobook: New is different, but Creative and Relevant are the same.

Old machinery: different.

Murder and mayhem: Creative and Relevant same.

wim

My point is that 'New' should return the newest images if I only enter my name in Advanced search. It always has, I've used it regularly.

Alamy has passed it on to its tech team. 

36 minutes ago, gvallee said:

My point is that 'New' should return the newest images if I only enter my name in Advanced search. It always has, I've used it regularly.

In my case it still does upload in stead of date taken. There is one image that's either way not in the right place though, but comes up first. That's funny. It's not off by a whole lot though.

Do you use your pseudo/your name as a keyword or do you put your pseudo/your name in the Advanced search > Contributor name box?

When I put Genevieve Vallee in the advanced search contributor box, I get September 20 images first; then the September 29 images.

wim

edit: sorry stupid question, should have tried that: You don't use your name as a keyword. And I've obviously not read your explanation close enough, because you've already answered that one. Oops my bad.

Edited by wiskerke

43 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Seems to be working for me as of now Gvallee

Kumar

35 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

In my case it still does upload in stead of date taken. There is one image that's either way not in the right place though, but comes up first. That's funny. It's not off by a whole lot though.

Do you use your pseudo/your name as a keyword or do you put your pseudo/your name in the Advanced search > Contributor name box?

When I put Genevieve Vallee in the advanced search contributor box, I get September 20 images first; then the September 29 images.

wim

edit: sorry stupid question, should have tried that: You don't use your name as a keyword. And I've obviously not read your explanation close enough, because you've already answered that one. Oops my bad.

Thank you for looking Wim. Newest images have started to filter through, I think some batches are still missing.  Not sure if the Alamy tecchies did something. I will take a closer look tomorrow. My eyes are closing. Thanks again.