Is this a Coreopsis flower?

John Mitchell

Question

14 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Chris Burrows said:

Looks like a Cosmos to me

Thanks. You're probably correct. I think it has more petals than a Coreopsis.

P.S. The iNaturalist Seek phone app discussed in another thread identified it as a Coreopsis. I find the app to be and hit-and-miss, though.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

P.S. The iNaturalist Seek phone app discussed in another thread identified it as a Coreopsis. I find the app to be and hit-and-miss, though.

I always check it against a Google search on the various results unless I'm fairly sure I've got an ID already.   The program seems to be better with bugs and spiders than with plants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I always check it against a Google search on the various results unless I'm fairly sure I've got an ID already.   The program seems to be better with bugs and spiders than with plants.

The 5MP camera in my phone isn't that great either, which probably doesn't help matters. It's OK for regular snapshots but doesn't close-focus well -- flower images are fuzzy. I've only photographed one bug so far, and the Seek app nailed it despite the blurry photo.

56 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

The 5MP camera in my phone isn't that great either, which probably doesn't help matters. It's OK for regular snapshots but doesn't close-focus well -- flower images are fuzzy. I've only photographed one bug so far, and the Seek app nailed it despite the blurry photo.

I shoot with my camera, and then blow the photo up on Lightroom and point the phone at that photo.  Phone is a Huawei Y7 2019.  Flowers will stay put, but bugs and spiders not necessarily.   Also, let Seek have your location, as that manages to narrow things down.  The other amusement is looking at the map of where else people have used Seek near you.  I was a bit surprised with how many people do have it. 

4 hours ago, Nigel Kirby said:

John, I have found a good phone ap - "Google Lens" that I use to identify flowers, Animals, bugs etc that I use before I take a photo, if I don't know the name of it. It works well most of the time.

Nigel

Thanks, I'll have a look a it.

• Love 1

On 20/09/2020 at 01:24, Chris Burrows said:

Possibly Cosmos bipinnatus 'Psyche' this one has the extra centre petals and comes in mixed or a white only selection.  

Thanks. It does look very similar. However, I'm always wary about including specific cultivars in my keywords since I know so little about flowers, and the number of varieties can be mind-boggling.

• Love 1

Seek here worked it out to be a Garden Cosmos using the posted photo, so I think it's your phone.   Google Lens came up with Sulfur cosmos or Garden Cosmos.   Your main camera will take a better photo than your phone.  PlantSnap came up with Cosmos xanthos (matches the banana yellow color of the flower, but not the pedals).   Use these programs as hints, check against on-line sources.   I had the experience of ID'ing some spiders today.

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks. It does look very similar. However, I'm always wary about including specific cultivars in my keywords since I know so little about flowers, and the number of varieties can be mind-boggling.

Very wise.  Sometimes the difference between two cultivars can be something almost un-noticeable.  I grew two tulip cultivars this year, one was a sport of the other.  Their flowers were identical, the only difference was a slightly different shade of green to the leaves.