The Last Freebie

Bill Allsopp

I have told myself before that I would not give freebies but yesterday I saw a crop fire being dealt with by fireman and thought I would offer pics to the local rag. This morning a journalist rang me for more info and after being told they do not pay for pictures thought well for what I get for a page in a national through Alamy I might as well just send a couple.

The thanks I got?

One word

thanks

no Dear Bill, no signature, zip

That is definitely the last freebie anyone gets out of me, I'm hopping 🤬

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Allsopp said:

I told him I wanted that. Paper not out yet so TBA

Fingers crossed. I understand that online advertising has killed the local paper business model, but it's free to be polite by email...!

"We don't have a budget for photography" means "everyone in the publishing process will get paid - writers, sub-editors, designers, printers - but not you"...

If asked for a freebie, I ask whether the person on the phone is getting paid for his/her involvement. The conversation usually ends there...

• Love 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

"We don't have a budget for photography" means "everyone in the publishing process will get paid - writers, sub-editors, designers, printers - but not you"...

If asked for a freebie, I ask whether the person on the phone is getting paid for his/her involvement. The conversation usually ends there...

The silly thing is that it must cost a business almost as much as they'd have paid you just to tell you they won't.

• Love 3

1 hour ago, Bill Allsopp said:

I have told myself before that I would not give freebies but yesterday I saw a crop fire being dealt with by fireman and thought I would offer pics to the local rag. This morning a journalist rang me for more info and after being told they do not pay for pictures thought well for what I get for a page in a national through Alamy I might as well just send a couple.

The thanks I got?

One word

thanks

no Dear Bill, no signature, zip

That is definitely the last freebie anyone gets out of me, I'm hopping 🤬

This is why I give no freebies - ever!  When I hear 'we have no budget for pictures' I usually laugh, utter a suitable expletive and put the phone down.

• Love 2

10 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

This is why I give no freebies - ever!  When I hear 'we have no budget for pictures' I usually laugh, utter a suitable expletive and put the phone down.

And you can be sure that will be me next time. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1