Allan Bell

Question

I hope someone can help with this. Perhaps Edo may know how to do it as he often changes his avatar.

I posted my avatar image on a hosting website way back when in the early days of joining the original Alamy forums. At the time it was necessary so that I had a URL to insert the image into the forums from the contributor home page. It was so long ago I do not remember which hosting site it was and was hoping that by finding the URL of the image I may get back to that hosting site.

All I have tried has so far failed to produce the URL from the Image. Anyone help?

This is so that I can change my existing avatar for a new one for a while but also so I can return the existing avatar at a later date.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Allan  (puzzled)

17 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I hope someone can help with this. Perhaps Edo may know how to do it as he often changes his avatar.

I posted my avatar image on a hosting website way back when in the early days of joining the original Alamy forums. At the time it was necessary so that I had a URL to insert the image into the forums from the contributor home page. It was so long ago I do not remember which hosting site it was and was hoping that by finding the URL of the image I may get back to that hosting site.

All I have tried has so far failed to produce the URL from the Image. Anyone help?

This is so that I can change my existing avatar for a new one for a while but also so I can return the existing avatar at a later date.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Allan  (puzzled)

"https://content.invisioncic.com/r229753/profile/photo-thumb-113.jpg" perchance?

I had to add the quotes to stop the image displaying .

Right click on the image and "copy link location".

You can just upload an avatar image, it doesn't have to be hosted.

Edited by spacecadet

Yes you upload by clicking on the existing image in the left corner of your profile. Here is the new socially responsible me with my Covid-19 face mask to help prevent whatever vileness comes out of my mouth reaching others 😎

• Love 1

18 hours ago, spacecadet said:

"https://content.invisioncic.com/r229753/profile/photo-thumb-113.jpg" perchance?

I had to add the quotes to stop the image displaying .

Right click on the image and "copy link location".

You can just upload an avatar image, it doesn't have to be hosted.

17 hours ago, MDM said:

Yes you upload by clicking on the existing image in the left corner of your profile. Here is the new socially responsible me with my Covid-19 face mask to help prevent whatever vileness comes out of my mouth reaching others 😎

Thank you both. When I uploaded my image on the old forums I believe we had to host the image elsewhere first.

Allan

12 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you both. When I uploaded my image on the old forums I believe we had to host the image elsewhere first.

Allan

Hang on a bit.

My avatar is also hosted at invisioncic. I certainly didn't upload it there. So I haven't helped you. Sorry.

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

Hang on a bit.

My avatar is also hosted at invisioncic. I certainly didn't upload it there. So I haven't helped you. Sorry.

Maybe all avatars were moved to a new host site when Alamy moved over to the new forum supplier.

Allan

18 hours ago, MDM said:

Just a thought. When you upload a new avatar is the old one still held in the background in a file somewhere so it can be retrieved later.

Allan

8 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Just a thought. When you upload a new avatar is the old one still held in the background in a file somewhere so it can be retrieved later.

Allan

I don't imagine so. You can save the existing one by right clicking and hitting Save Image As. I have a 100 pixel square image of you sitting on my desktop now.

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

I don't imagine so. You can save the existing one by right clicking and hitting Save Image As. I have a 100 pixel square image of you sitting on my desktop now.

Try downloading your own: mine is 150x150 px.

wim

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Try downloading your own: mine is 150x150 px.

wim

That's strange. When I download your's, it is 100x100 pixels like Allan's. But mine is 112x112. The plot thickens.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

That's strange. When I download your's, it is 100x100 pixels like Allan's. But mine is 112x112. The plot thickens.

So it's been resized here, but it's the original in our profile.

You probably uploaded yours as a 112x112 and I as a 150x150px.

wim

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Ouch!   That hurts.😮

Seriously thanks for the info.

Allan

I found where I had hosted my image for the avatar. It was on Photobucket but so long ago that my account, not having been used for so long, has been scrapped. At the time it was free to place images on PB for hosting. PB don't host images on the cheaper alternative accounts now.

Allan

17 hours ago, MDM said:

I think I prefer the old one 😀.

I wish I was as young as my image with all the knowledge and experience of the intervening years.

Allan