More flower questions

John Mitchell

Question

I have a few more flowers and plants that I can't identify. Does anyone know what they are?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

1. Are these double roses?

pink-roses-2C7DM5X.jpg

2. Shasta daisies, oxeye daisies, or...?

closeup-of-a-field-of-shasta-or-ox-eye-d

3. I feel I should recognize this one, but I don't...

closeuppurple-flower-2C7DM4E.jpg

4. Wispy purple / lavender flowering plant in the middle

flowering-plant-2C7DM47.jpg

16 answers to this question

Ooh, the hard questions, eh John. OK, here goes:

#1. Yes, double rose.  Looks like floribunda type,

#2.  Given the date taken I'd agree with Shasta daisy, Leucanthemum x superbum

#3 I'm not sure whether it's a Lavatera or Sidalcea from the view.  If the flowers are in upright spikes it's Sidalcea, Lavatera's flowers are in terminal clustres.  Mallow family for sure.

#4 is a lavender, probably English lavender, Lavandula angustifolia or one of the hybrids L x intermedia.

8 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Ooh, the hard questions, eh John. OK, here goes:

#1. Yes, double rose.  Looks like floribunda type,

#2.  Given the date taken I'd agree with Shasta daisy, Leucanthemum x superbum

#3 I'm not sure whether it's a Lavatera or Sidalcea from the view.  If the flowers are in upright spikes it's Sidalcea, Lavatera's flowers are in terminal clustres.  Mallow family for sure.

#4 is a lavender, probably English lavender, Lavandula angustifolia or one of the hybrids L x intermedia.

Thanks very much (again), John. 🌼

I can't remember where I photographed #3, so I'll have to do some more Googling for that one.

29 minutes ago, Jansos said:

There is an app for this kind of thing called PictureThis. Works really well but perhaps Apple only?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/picturethis-plant-identifier/id1252497129

Thanks. The app looks cool. But  being technologically challenged, I'll have to depend on old fashioned brain power (not mine, though).

• Love 1

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

A couple more...

1. A dahlia of some kind?

red-flower-2C89PK5.jpg

2. A big yellow rose ... I assume.

closeup-of-a-large-yellow-rose-blooming-

You're getting better at this, John.  #1 is a waterlily type Dahlia and #2 is indeed a rose.  Varieties?  Don't know, there are just to many to know them all.

5 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Thanks once again, John. Not sure I'm getting any better. At least I got the rose part right. The petals on the Dahlia looked a bit long, so I thought it might be something else. I'm running out of flowers at this point. You you might be in for a well-deserved rest.😉

Edited by John Mitchell

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

We'll be sure to send flowers. 😎

Sorry, that was a bit sick...

I keep a folder of plant labels to keep track of what I've bought over the years.  Looking through them is depressing when I see what I've also lost over the years.  So, no need for flowers - I've got plenty that have preceded me 😀

• Love 1

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

I keep a folder of plant labels to keep track of what I've bought over the years.  Looking through them is depressing when I see what I've also lost over the years.  So, no need for flowers - I've got plenty that have preceded me 😀

I've travelled a lot in Mexico and Central America, but I wasn't aware that the Dahlia is the national flower of Mexico. Dahlias have a fascinating history. According to this Wikipedia article, the Aztecs grew them for food and even used them to treat epilepsy. Now I know why I've seen so many Dahlias in Mexican markets. Live and learn...

On 23/07/2020 at 16:11, John Mitchell said:

Thanks. The app looks cool. But  being technologically challenged, I'll have to depend on old fashioned brain power (not mine, though).

It is available for both Android and iPad/Phones.  I didn't like it at first, but tried it again.   It works well for common houseplants, but not so well for rarer things that are indigenous plants that aren't cultivated often.  It can get you in the ball park (genus, but perhaps not the precise species).   You can get the paid version for around $20 for life on Android, and they have a community for ID'ing plants, too.

19 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

It is available for both Android and iPad/Phones.  I didn't like it at first, but tried it again.   It works well for common houseplants, but not so well for rarer things that are indigenous plants that aren't cultivated often.  It can get you in the ball park (genus, but perhaps not the precise species).   You can get the paid version for around $20 for life on Android, and they have a community for ID'ing plants, too.

Thanks, at the moment I have only a basic talk & text phone, believe it or not. I'll keep the app in mind, though, if at some point I decide to take the plunge into the 21st century.