Model release form needed for family members and kids?

marklaing

Question

HI Gang,

I couldn't find this post anywhere on the forums but does one need a release form for you own kids or family members?  I'm talking immediate family here not grumpy Uncle Bill.  I have a ton of Death Valley type pix with my own kids\wife in them.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by marklaing
make it more specific.

5 answers to this question

I expect having a model release might improve the chances of some types of sale and would be necessary I think for certain types of sale (advertising). You just mark the images as model released  - you don’t have to submit a model release nowadays with the image (probably something to do with data privacy laws) as they say they will contact you. In the past you had to upload the release with the image. For your kids I guess you would just sign it yourself. I am not sure if both parents need to sign but I usually get both to sign if possible if I do a shoot of kids where I intend to use the images for publicity or make them available for sale. 

Edited by MDM

Yes, you will need a model release to sell the images for commercial use, even for tiny people (distance), and parts of people - and  you need to keep your signed releases safe.

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/model-property-releases-stock-images/

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Yes you need the release for you and family members as has been answered above, another curiosity is in theory you need a property release for your own home if it is in your photos and also your pets or other peoples pets or property. These releases are for allowing commercial use of your photos of identifiable people and property i.e. advertising, if you just want editorial use and no advertising then a release isn't required.

• Like 1

I really like Easy Release app for your phone (or tablet), you always have it with you and it's accepted by all agencies, plus you can resend from the saved file on your phone if you happen to lose it.