License Metadata in Google Images

This might not be news to others but is to me. It looks as though it will be along soon.

Image License Metadata in Google Images 

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/image-license-metadata

This should drive traffic to Alamy and to our own personal sites if images are labelled as available for licensing. 

Alamy strips all metadata from images on the site.

Only images that go out to the client have some metadata.

People that do not see the implications of this can not be saved I'm afraid.

wim

3 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Alamy strips all metadata from images on the site.

Only images that go out to the client have some metadata.

People that do not see the implications of this can not be saved I'm afraid.

wim

Wim,

Google does find and index Alamy images so presumably will also index them as being available for licence when this new filter is introduced.

Forgive  me asking a stupid question but how can Google find Alamy's images if they do not have any metadata?

A very wise thing (well just following Google's best practices) was to include a description in the file name of the image on the zoom page. Try one of your own; go to the zoom page and click view image. If it's not allowing a right click, use Shift-right click. Now check the file name of that image in the address bar or in your file manager if you download it. If you compare it with your file in AIM, you'll know where it comes from.

That firmly links the image to the text, which is what Google likes.

And there's image recognition.

For the Google images best practices, click on the link in that article from your initial post: Google Images best practices

When I do it, I get the text in Dutch, so not very helpful here.

The copyright part of metadata is a vital part of fighting illegal use. And necessary for billing. It's against the law to strip copyright data from images (chapter III article 7 here).

If I was Alamy, I would put not just my copyright data in every image file, but my contact info as well. Maybe even with something like: if you want to use this file in any way, please contact us at: sales@alamy.com. Maybe even put a phone number in there.

(Remember that Gallup poll about what was the most effective election speech? The one where the candidate actually asked at the end: would you please vote for me.

- Ok I do, but for the life of me I cannot find it. Does it really exist? Urban PR/marketing legend? 😕)

wim

• Like 1

I've zoomed and saved preview on one of mine, opened it up in Photoshop. Looked at file information and IPTC and can see nothing at all.

Not really following your instructions or actually what you are saying here. But I know that is my stupidity.  Never mind. 

As long as Google does find Alamy images that's good.

Of more urgency to me is why Google does not find my Photoshelter images any longer - it used to and Photoshelter tell me I should be seeing a spike after all their recent work on SEO but I am seeing nothing.

Edited by geogphotos

14 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I think I've just found a partial answer to my question about SEO on Photoshelter. 

I need to add Headline and Title information. Shouldn't take long......😪

More flipping hours of work for no money then..........just like ex/non-ex.

49 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

More flipping hours of work for no money then..........just like ex/non-ex.

Yes, something must have changed because my pics used to appear in Google searches. 

I've asked if they can provide a spreadsheet - don't fancy doing that 60,000 times 'by hand'.

I need to view it as an 'opportunity' !

Edited by geogphotos

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2020 at 10:11, geogphotos said:

I think I've just found a partial answer to my question about SEO on Photoshelter. 

I need to add Headline and Title information. Shouldn't take long......😪

I just unearthed this old thread. It appears that PS is now saying that headlines and titles are needed to make images Google-friendly. I "only" have a few thousand images on my PS website, but I can't see myself going back and adding all this new stuff to every single image. As mentioned in another thread, I recently changed to one of the slick new templates. However, I'm now wondering (again) if paying for a personal stock photo website is worthwhile these days. They can be fun to fiddle with, and they look good. However, all mine does now is provide a bit of an income tax write-off. Hmmm...

Edited by John Mitchell