A6500 problem

Hi all

God only knows what I have done but I am unable to fathom it out and would appreciate some help, the problem being when I go to shoot mode I am unable to change anything as it keeps tell me that the "function is currently disabled" can anyone help as I must be having a senior moment which is lasting longer than normal.

Liam   

26 minutes ago, Liam Bunce said:

Hi all

God only knows what I have done but I am unable to fathom it out and would appreciate some help, the problem being when I go to shoot mode I am unable to change anything as it keeps tell me that the "function is currently disabled" can anyone help as I must be having a senior moment which is lasting longer than normal.

Liam   

Have you accidentally moved the program control knob. I have done that myself on my 6000 model sometimes.

eg moved it from manual to program or something similar.

Allan

16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Have you accidentally moved the program control knob. I have done that myself on my 6000 model sometimes.

eg moved it from manual to program or something similar.

Allan

Every thing looks fine with the program control knob Allan thanks, not sure what this smart remote Win mentioned is all about though. 

16 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Smart Remote?

wim

Wim.

I have checked out this smart remote but have never used it, is it something that you use and would recommend?

many thanks

7 hours ago, Liam Bunce said:

Wim.

I have checked out this smart remote but have never used it, is it something that you use and would recommend?

many thanks

Absolutely. It works with an app called Imaging Edge Mobile on your smartphone. Initially it was a different app called PlayMemories which is not supported anymore.

Edge Mobile here.

Now the caveat: If you use the smart remote on your older Sony camera, some settings like RAW/JPG and file size must be set from within the app when it's running. Very convoluted.

These are the cameras with a tab application list and downloadable apps, which have now been abandoned. The menu structure however has been retained including the dual setup.

The cameras with newer firmware/newer menu structure, have a setting control with smartphone. This does not have the dual setup problem.

It has however problems with making or keeping a connection. Not always though. It may even have been solved via one of the updates.

It also from time to time forgets the cameras that it is supposed to be connecting to. So once in a while you're being asked for the password or the QR code. If there's no QR code showing on the camera, it has missed a firmware update.

There are things that must be set on the phone: Mainly download images or not or smaller size downloads (jpg only). The rest can be set from within the app afaik.

What smart remote or Imaging Edge Mobile can do depends on the camera. Some will only operate in full auto, others can be operated fully manual too and everything in between.

What I am missing is a bracketing function. It can be done by hand via the exposure correction, but I want a simple link to the setting in the camera.

wim

On 08/05/2020 at 12:13, Bryan said:

Never had this problem to date. First move remove and re-insert battery, if that doesn't work maybe try a reset https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-factory-reset-a-sony-alpha-a6500-camera-11046 You will need to reconfigure the camera after doing so.

It looks as tough I'll be resetting to camera default then.

Many thanks

23 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Absolutely. It works with an app called Imaging Edge Mobile on your smartphone. Initially it was a different app called PlayMemories which is not supported anymore.

Edge Mobile here.

Now the caveat: If you use the smart remote on your older Sony camera, some settings like RAW/JPG and file size must be set from within the app when it's running. Very convoluted.

These are the cameras with a tab application list and downloadable apps, which have now been abandoned. The menu structure however has been retained including the dual setup.

The cameras with newer firmware/newer menu structure, have a setting control with smartphone. This does not have the dual setup problem.

It has however problems with making or keeping a connection. Not always though. It may even have been solved via one of the updates.

It also from time to time forgets the cameras that it is supposed to be connecting to. So once in a while you're being asked for the password or the QR code. If there's no QR code showing on the camera, it has missed a firmware update.

There are things that must be set on the phone: Mainly download images or not or smaller size downloads (jpg only). The rest can be set from within the app afaik.

What smart remote or Imaging Edge Mobile can do depends on the camera. Some will only operate in full auto, others can be operated fully manual too and everything in between.

What I am missing is a bracketing function. It can be done by hand via the exposure correction, but I want a simple link to the setting in the camera.

wim

Only one problem there Wim I have not moved on to the smart phone yet , I'm an android user.

Many thanks for the info though.

1 hour ago, Liam Bunce said:

Only one problem there Wim I have not moved on to the smart phone yet , I'm an android user.

Many thanks for the info though.

I am an android user too. Android smartphone. Mine is an old Samsung S5 mini.

wim