I know this'll be easy-peasy for some of you!

I have a couple of Lavender shots which I'm trying to confirm IDs for.  The first one - 2BK0BX4 - I have down as Lavandula stoechas 'Papillon'. Hopefully, that's correct? That's the label that was with these at the garden centre at the time - though I know that they're not infallible!

Lavender,  Lavandula stoechas Papillon Stock Photo

I'm not sure of the second - 2BK0BX8.  Is this the same?

Lavender Stock Photo

Sorry, but I've looked at guides and am absolutely useless at this.  They look different to me, but then that counts for next to zero!

Both taken in the same UK garden centre - and only got the label for the first - so could be anything! Any and all help most appreciated. :)

Edited by losdemas
Added image Ids

Both are French lavender so you're right on that.  It now gets complicated and I'm no expert on lavenders.  My soil and damp climate doesn't suit them and even pot grown plants don't last  long.

Is #1 'Papillon'?  I'm not so sure.  'Papillon' usually has bracts longer than the body of the flower head.  Here's the one I grew:

Flowers of French lavender, Lavandula pedunculata ssp pedunculata 'Papillion' Stock Photo

'Papillon' is a variety of Lavandula pedunculata ssp pedunculata, while your two look like different varieties of Lavandula stoechas.  The problem is that there are a number of different varieties which all look fairly similar so I can't really tell which ones they are.  

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

No, that's great, John, thank you. I did find a site mentioning Lavandula pedunculata ssp pedunculata, which looked a tad different, so I wasn't too sure.  Unless I can get any more info to confirm otherwise, I've added French lavender as a tag for both and dropped Papillon as being too uncertain.

Thanks again!

I've added a couple of pics of Campanula found growing on the exterior of an urban garden wall (2BK925B & 2BK91WH - database not yet updated to include these), but the variation there looks to be an absolute nightmare! And I suppose that these may well develop unique strains from the shop-bought varieties once 'in the wild'?!  I think that I'll just leave those as 'Campanula'! 😉 😁

For plant names whenever possible  I use "Find a plant" on the RHS website....

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/search-form

This gives Lavandula stoechas 'Papillon' as being a synonym for Lavandula pedunculata subsp. pedunculata

As I understand it this is a name used in the past that is now no longer seen as correct.

Regarding the Campanulas there are hundreds of species of these and hundreds of cultivars, the RHS has 2344 results for Campanula and they cover a wide range of plant and flower size and form.  Also there are some plants that look like Campanula but are a different species.  

Edited by Chris Burrows

9 minutes ago, Chris Burrows said:

This gives Lavandula stoechas 'Papillon' as being a synonym for Lavandula pedunculata subsp. pedunculata

As I understand it this is a name used in the past that is now no longer seen as correct.

I do the same, Chris.  Even full time botanists have a hard time keeping up with the taxonomists and their eternal revisions of species and genera boundaries.  

25 minutes ago, Chris Burrows said:

Regarding the Campanulas there are hundreds of species of these and hundreds of cultivars, the RHS has 2344 results for Campanula and they cover a wide range of plant and flower size and form.  Also there are some plants that look like Campanula but are a different species.  

Ah, thank you for that!  I'll bookmark the RHS search page for future reference. Yes, Campanula did seem like a total minefield. I don't think that anyone will be using my images for botanical reference somehow, but I'll put some kind of disclaimer in the Additional info box.

The Campanula is Campanula portenschlagiana, Dalmatian bellflower.  It's a crack and crevice dweller in the wild and has really taken to UK walls and wall crevices.  I see it all over Plymouth at this time of the year as it seeds itself quite wildly.  Growing where it is it won't be one of the cultivars, just the plain species.

It's definitely Lavandula stoechas. Don't know about the variety. They were sold as "Schopflavendel" in Germany. I have some on my balcony and managed to keep them alive for six weeks now.

5 hours ago, John Richmond said:

The Campanula is Campanula portenschlagiana, Dalmatian bellflower.  It's a crack and crevice dweller in the wild and has really taken to UK walls and wall crevices.  I see it all over Plymouth at this time of the year as it seeds itself quite wildly.  Growing where it is it won't be one of the cultivars, just the plain species.

31 minutes ago, vpics said:

It's definitely Lavandula stoechas. Don't know about the variety. They were sold as "Schopflavendel" in Germany. I have some on my balcony and managed to keep them alive for six weeks now.

Thanks guys! Really helpful; so glad to be part of this forum.  More tag inspiration, too!

Edited by losdemas