Discoverabilty - Poor - how to improve?

Derek_nb

Question

I have been a contributor since 2006 and uploaded a small number of images over the years. I now have 1687 images on sale. My returns have been very modest, but I plan to continue to contribute.

Up until recently my ‘Discoverability – Good’ images were relatively small number, but now all my images are ‘Discoverability – Poor’.

Can you advise how I can start getting some images’ Discoverability – Good’ or even ‘Discoverability Optimised’.

Is it the number of keywords/tags that is the problem?

5 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, Derek_nb said:

I have been a contributor since 2006 and uploaded a small number of images over the years. I now have 1687 images on sale. My returns have been very modest, but I plan to continue to contribute.

Up until recently my ‘Discoverability – Good’ images were relatively small number, but now all my images are ‘Discoverability – Poor’.

Can you advise how I can start getting some images’ Discoverability – Good’ or even ‘Discoverability Optimised’.

Is it the number of keywords/tags that is the problem?

Basically yes, but adding keywords for the sake of it and are irrelevant will harm your CTR. Personally I don't bother with discoverability/optimisation, it's only a guide.

Hi Derek,

You don't need to spam keywords (put lots of irrelevant keywords). If you put lots of keywords for your photo, you get a green bar and it says the photo has "optimum discoverability". The forum members collectively decided a while ago getting images to green just hurt your ranking unless you really did need that many keywords for an image. There's a lot of threads about it in the forum. What is your CTR rank and how does it compare to the Alamy monthly average? CTR stands for “Click Through Rate” which is the number of zooms divided by the number of views, multiplied by 100. It only counts zooms from particular clients of Alamy. If you do lots of irrelevant keywords for your images, they will show up in searches, but will not be zoomed. This will drop your CTR rank. If you have a lower CTR rank, your images will get pushed back by Alamys algorithms to the back of the search pages.

Here's an example thread:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/12457-new-contributor-here-would-anyone-like-to-critique-my-portfolio/?tab=comments#comment-231816

Hope this helps.

Steve

p.s. I have 2,519 images on sale with poor discoverability and 64 with good/optimised

Edited by Steve F

Yes it is not essential to make your images with good or optimised visibility.

I have 3725 with poor visibility and 1172 with good visibility. But those good ones were keyworded in the old system where we had three sections to fill in with keywords for each image. I simply repeated the keywords from the first section to the other two sections then when the system was altered it kept all those keywords.

If I was to go back and correct them all to the new system, which I ain't never going to do, they would show up as being of poor visibility.

Just keyword (tag) your images with what is in the images, nothing more and nothing less. Sure add concept words, phrases, etc, if they are pertinent to the image.

Hope this helped.

Allan

Yep, what they said above. Search the forum and you will see that this comes up regularly. I have 18k images of which 371 are good. I just had a look at a couple of the "good discoverability" images and they old shots that look to be overkeyworded.

Many thanks for the responses. Much appreciated. I'll not get too hung up about 'Discoverability - Poor' but just keep plugging away, adding images with what I think are relevant Keywords.