Tree ID

VbFolly

Question

I'm struggling to identify this tree. I think it's some kind of willow. The bark looks like it could be grey or goat willow, but the leaf shape doesn't seem to match. It's on an old golf course so could be ornamental not native. Can anyone help please.

Willow tree Stock Photo

Willow tree bark with diamond-shaped fissures Stock Photo

Willow tree Stock Photo

6 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Bionic said:

It almost looks like London Plane (Plantus x hispanica) to me but the leaves aren’t developed enough for me to be sure as it’s not a tree we get particularly locally:)

Thanks, Bionic. I photographed the leaves from a small tree of the same species next to the large one so that I could get a close-up, but maybe they're not developed enough to identify for sure! I'll check out London plane.

I've had a go at this one and found it very difficult. I'm not saying this is correct but the nearest I can get is Populus alba, White Poplar. It's a member of the willow family and the tree looks mature. Leaves on the mature tree should be green on the upper side and silvery underneath. The thing that pointed me in this direction was the bark which does have characteristic diamond-shaped marks.

Food for thought but I'm not absolutely sure.

Jim.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Broad Norfolk said:

I've had a go at this one and found it very difficult. I'm not saying this is correct but the nearest I can get is Populus alba, White Poplar. It's a member of the willow family and the tree looks mature. Leaves on the mature tree should be green on the upper side and silvery underneath. The thing that pointed me in this direction was the bark which does have characteristic diamond-shaped marks.

Food for thought but I'm not absolutely sure.

Jim.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. That does look like a strong possibility. The diamond-shaped fissures on the mature tree bark pointed me to the willow family, which as you say includes poplars. I think I'll try to get some photos of the leaves on the mature tree on my walk this afternoon with a longer lens to get a better idea of the leaf shape. They are certainly green on the upperside and silver on the underside though.

1 hour ago, Broad Norfolk said:

I agree with your ID, Jim - though it will be good to see a mature leaf for confirmation.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

I agree with your ID, Jim - though it will be good to see a mature leaf for confirmation.

Thanks, John. I had another look just now, and there are a few larger leaves that appear to be developing the roughly five-lobed shape. I will keep an eye on it as they leaves mature - it looks like I'll be walking in the same area for a while yet!