Finding out where your image is used

Marb

Question

I just sold an image of my wife, much to her surprise, for Single company, editorial magazine, print and or web, multiple use 5 years (for only $24) Is there any way I can find when and where this image is sued as they never tell you who the client is ?

Thanks.

14 answers to this question

If sold for a not-very-big company for their newsletter you're pretty unlikely to find it. Keep trying for and you may track it down if it's published somewhere Google can crawl- I've found a couple that didn't show up for a couple of years. But I've never found one under that particular sort of licence.

FYI, agencies never reveal their clients- you can imagine why- confidentiality- and everyone would be asking for tearsheets if they did! The buyer is Alamy's client, not yours. That's the deal.

If you find a use you're not sure has been reported, Alamy will tell you whether or not there's a relevant download, but that's the only exception.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

About once a month I drag 'n' drop a few pix into Google Images (very easy and quick), which helps me to keep track of (some) uses... and mis-uses...

There's an add-on for FF, probably for other browsers- just right-click on the thumbnail and it's in the context menu. Works quite well. That's where I get 95% of my finds.

7 hours ago, Marb said:

I just sold an image of my wife, much to her surprise, for Single company, editorial magazine, print and or web, multiple use 5 years (for only $24) Is there any way I can find when and where this image is sued as they never tell you who the client is ?

Thanks.

Is it PEYM0B? Recently used here?

https://www.hertsdomesticabusehelpline.org/blogspot-domestic-abuse

https://www.hertsdomesticabusehelpline.org/blogspot-domestic-abuse/2020/1/28/domestic-a

https://www.shropsdas.org.uk/news

https://www.shropsdas.org.uk/news/item/captive-and-controlled-reports-rural-domestic-abuse

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Yes it is her but not the exact image sold. thanks. How did you find it ?

Edited by Marb

13 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Reverse image search using Google and Tineye

Mark

Thanks, I had no idea about this tool. It has only come up on Alamy so mustn't have been published yet. One of them came up on AP images which I am not a member. I wonder if it has been stolen.

Edited by Marb

43 minutes ago, Marb said:

Thanks, I had no idea about this tool. It has only come up on Alamy so mustn't have been published yet. One of them came up on AP images which I am not a member. I wonder if it has been stolen.

Another trick is to do a Google search for your pseudo in a credit line like this;

"alamy / ian hubball" -site:alamy.com, which shows up this publication of yours,

or like this

"ian hubball / alamy" -alamy.com -alamy.es -alamyimages.fr -alamy.de

which finds several (eight?) more publications of yours.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

On 21/04/2020 at 12:02, Marb said:

Thanks.

Hi Marb,

By chance I've just found a usage of your image PEYMG3. I was looking through a copy of Landscape Magazine June 2020 and it's on Page 113. It's been flipped left to right. Let me know if you want a tear-strip. You can contact me directly via my Fine Art America page.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

On 03/05/2020 at 14:35, M.Chapman said:

Hi Marb,

By chance I've just found a usage of your image PEYMG3. I was looking through a copy of Landscape Magazine June 2020 and it's on Page 113. It's been flipped left to right. Let me know if you want a tear-strip. You can contact me directly via my Fine Art America page.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for letting me know. Thats made her day. I will buy her the magazine so no need to tear it out, but thanks for the offer.

54 minutes ago, Marb said:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for letting me know. Thats made her day. I will buy her the magazine so no need to tear it out, but thanks for the offer.

If you can't get a copy let me know and I'll post you our copy as we've now finished with it.

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

If you can't get a copy let me know and I'll post you our copy as we've now finished with it.

Mark

Thanks. It must be quite an obscure mag to find as just been to 3 different shops that stock mags and non have it. Will try town tomorrow so might take you up if I don't succeed.

On 14/05/2020 at 17:05, M.Chapman said:

Mark

Hi Mark, I managed to get a copy from Sainsburys so thanks again for tipping me off as I never buy mags and would have missed it. If you ever see it again I would appreciate you letting me know as they have a  Single company, editorial magazine, print and or web, multiple use 5 years licence. 

Edited by Marb