Question about the "What should I shoot?" section

gdvn

Question

Hi, 

So I was looking at the What should I shoot? section and I realized there's some landmarks that I have photos of. I checked the "I've covered this pic need" but nothing happens. I uploaded the photos of that landmark, but I don't see any way that I can specify that those photos cover that need. How is this section supposed to be used? 

Thanks in advance for any help/tips. 

8 answers to this question

also need is based on "customer requests", "gaps identified by Alamy staff" and "strategical growth".  Don't expect that because something is identified as need, it will be a guaranteed sale (so i wouldn't go and spend large amount of $$$ to get these, but if i had it available i would upload)

• Like 2

Question/comments related to this section so I am posting here.

The "what to shoot" list seems to be mostly populated by well know people/places/things of which numerous images already exist. 

With so many images of most of these subjects already in existence on Alamy, as well as many other sites, I dont see this list as being very useful. It seems that more specifics are needed for it to be useful in choosing what type of image to capture of most of these subjects.

For example, a Google search for an abitrary seletion "Ace Hotel New Orleans" from the list turns up pages of images, many of them on Alamy. A search of Alamy also turns up many images/collections of this subject.

So, if I find myself at the Ace Hotel in NOLA, what do I shoot?

Edited by CSC

The golden hour views are a crowded market. No reason not too compete, but I'd be tempted to not overlook the quirky details, a named room key, embroidered towel, dressing gown or room service menu.  A page in a travel article will have the big artful picture but also a couple of thumbnail details, no need to exclude yourself from the whole market.

Good luck

• Love 1

5 hours ago, CSC said:

Question/comments related to this section so I am posting here.

The "what to shoot" list seems to be mostly populated by well know people/places/things of which numerous images already exist. 

With so many images of most of these subjects already in existence on Alamy, as well as many other sites, I dont see this list as being very useful. It seems that more specifics are needed for it to be useful in choosing what type of image to capture of most of these subjects.

For example, a Google search for an abitrary seletion "Ace Hotel New Orleans" from the list turns up pages of images, many of them on Alamy. A search of Alamy also turns up many images/collections of this subject.

So, if I find myself at the Ace Hotel in NOLA, what do I shoot?

There are only 4 images for Ace Hotel New Orleans when I search for that on Alamy? Not pages. And all 4 are very recent, probably all shot as a reaction to the wants list.

When I prepared my visit to New Orleans a couple of months ago, there were none, but I noticed that one of Alamy's clients had images (not from Alamy) of that hotel. I figured that this may have been the original search. Although the Ace was like around the corner of our hotel, I did not shoot it.

Now if you compare those images that are on Alamy with the ones the client used. Which would you prefer? And could you do better or at least as good? If yes, go ahead and shoot it. And shoot lots of other hotels. There are quite a few in New Orleans. They may well be very happy with you checking them out.

wim

• Love 1

3 hours ago, wiskerke said:

There are only 4 images for Ace Hotel New Orleans when I search for that on Alamy? Not pages. And all 4 are very recent, probably all shot as a reaction to the wants list.

When I prepared my visit to New Orleans a couple of months ago, there were none, but I noticed that one of Alamy's clients had images (not from Alamy) of that hotel. I figured that this may have been the original search. Although the Ace was like around the corner of our hotel, I did not shoot it.

Now if you compare those images that are on Alamy with the ones the client used. Which would you prefer? And could you do better or at least as good? If yes, go ahead and shoot it. And shoot lots of other hotels. There are quite a few in New Orleans. They may well be very happy with you checking them out.

wim

Ah, so there are only 4 on Alamy...the way my Google search presented made it appear that there are many more on Alamy. There are pages of images of the Ace Hotel, but not on Alamy.

The images they chose to use were from a NYC based pro photographer.

Edited by CSC