Spider ID

IDP

This big beastie has just taken up residence on my back deck and so I decided to take a couple of shots of it. However, my knowledge of entomology is virtually non-existent and I wonder if any expert out there could confirm my identification as Nephila clavipes - a Banana Spider or Golden Silk Spider? It's about the size of an outspread hand and the location is central Florida.

Thanks in advance

Ian D

DG5HFB.jpg

Thanks, Paul - that's one of the names for Nephila clavipes and so confirms my identification.

Paulette, it's easy enough to see my images by doing a search of my name which is shown in my profile. I use a dormant account for the forum because I had very good reasons for not showing images from a couple of my minor pseudonyms.

Ian D

Yep, you're correct. I photographed them in Costa Rica.

Name: Golden silk orb spider / Banana spider / Nephila clavipes

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks, Philippe. I thought you might be the "expert" to chime in and put me on the right path!

Ian D

PS. Your shot is a lot better than mine!!

Banana Spider or Golden Orb Spider are two names I've heard attributed to them.  I had one living on a web outside my sliding glass door (north Florida) for most of the summer this year but he disappeared about a month ago.  I left him alone figuring he helps keep down the mosquito population.

Archived