Cost of Non-Exclusivity in 2019

The whole exclusivity thing is a bit of a conundrum. I'm not sure what to think. I've lost income on images, including on some $$$ sales. However, my sales numbers have spiked this year for reasons unknown. It was probably just a matter of luck. However, it might have had something to do with Alamy being able to offer "exclusive" images to clients. Who knows?

Edited by John Mitchell

The only way that clients can find out if an image is exclusive is to ask. How often this happens we aren't told. If it was significant I would assume that Alamy would have acted on it and informed us. 

I don't see any link at all with my higher fees and exclusivity. Actually, all seem to be non-exclusive images, which could be because they are better images and consequently selected elsewhere ( who knows?).

Part of doing the calculation I mentioned above was to compare my earnings elsewhere with what I am losing at Alamy  by being non-exclusive. This is something I will keep an eye on. 

Edited by geogphotos

On 27/12/2019 at 22:48, geogphotos said:

The only way that clients can find out if an image is exclusive is to ask. How often this happens we aren't told. If it was significant I would assume that Alamy would have acted on it and informed us. 

- there has to be a reason why some kind of notice or banner isn't shown on exclusive images. I'd prefer that there was. May also be advantage as things are developing now.

My video clips elsewhere is clearly marked "Exclusive"

Edited by Niels Quist

1 hour ago, Niels Quist said:

- there has to be a reason why some kind of notice or banner isn't shown on exclusive images. 

Probably because Alamy has no real confidence that images labelled as Exclusive really are exclusive. They have created a system where it is disadvantageous to be honest and scrupulous.

When the new rules were introduced I labelled all my images as non-exclusive and lost out on commission on every sale until I was able to work through all of them and allocate them accurately.

If I had 'forgotten' to do this I would be $800 better off.  

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Probably because Alamy has no real confidence that images labelled as Exclusive really are exclusive. They have created a system where it is disadvantageous to be honest and scrupulous.

Yes, that is the crux of the problem. The current "exclusivity" thing is an honour system, so Alamy can't tell clients with 100% certainty that an image really is exclusive. The only way to solve this would be to offer contributors an exclusive contract, as some agencies do, which probably few of us would be willing to sign.

My own figures illustrate the damage that Alamy's % royalty cuts can have on net earnings.

I joined in February 2010 and enthusiastically submitted and grew earnings in the early years.

In 2012, my gross earnings were $4508 from 111 sales. But because we were getting 60%, that gave me $2705 net (for simplicity I am ignoring distributor sales)

Fast forward to 2019 (and two royalty cuts later). Gross earning stand at $5616 from 249 sales, but if all my images are non exclusive that gives only $2246 net.

Not all my images are non exclusive but the above shows the effect on earnings if they were.

Edited by andremichel