Block colours - Images with one dominating colour

hdh

Question

In the new beta "What shout I shoot" Section is one request for "Block colours - Images with one dominating colour"
Not unsure about how to shoot, and frankly I guess we all have some pictures with a dominating colour. 

Though I wonder about how to keyword them. 

I tried a few searches but they did not bring back a wealth of pictures to what I expected. 

What I tried was (in paratheses what I also tried) 

block color(s) green

(concept) (block) colors green 

dominating color green 

Any suggestions on the keywording? 

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, hdh said:

In the new beta "What shout I shoot" Section is one request for "Block colours - Images with one dominating colour"
Not unsure about how to shoot, and frankly I guess we all have some pictures with a dominating colour. 

Though I wonder about how to keyword them. 

I tried a few searches but they did not bring back a wealth of pictures to what I expected. 

What I tried was (in paratheses what I also tried) 

block color(s) green

(concept) (block) colors green 

dominating color green 

Any suggestions on the keywording? 

Any suggestions on what clients are actually looking for?

Is this a new trend that we haven't heard about or a trend that's already over?

Because for the rolling year there has only been 1 search for block color and 6 for block colour.

Maybe it's a UK thing?

Monochrome isn't widely searched for either. Not in the sense of one dominant color anyway.

Alamy (under Image > style) has the option to search for a color/colour, so it may be to populate those results a bit more.

If that's the case, keywords are not very important except maybe for that dominant color.

wim

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Any suggestions on what clients are actually looking for?

Is this a new trend that we haven't heard about or a trend that's already over?

Because for the rolling year there has only been 1 search for block color and 6 for block colour.

Maybe it's a UK thing?

Monochrome isn't widely searched for either. Not in the sense of one dominant color anyway.

Alamy (under Image > style) has the option to search for a color/colour, so it may be to populate those results a bit more.

If that's the case, keywords are not very important except maybe for that dominant color.

wim

I always try to include colors in my keywords if it's an important color in the image. I guess I have put monochrome on the few B&W images I've uploaded, but I didn't have anything about a dominant color on the one recent image I could think of that is mostly blue. Just added it ;)

I hadn't tested this feature before, could it be that the search by color isn't fuzzy enough? I get the exact color I'm picking, but nothing else. Which means very very few results anyway. Test it with this search phrase: blue colour. Result 839,072 images. Pick a blue color from the wheel under Image > color and in my case I get 14 images with the exact hex value color I've picked. Nice tool, but not for the masses I think.

wim

20 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

I hadn't tested this feature before, could it be that the search by color isn't fuzzy enough? I get the exact color I'm picking, but nothing else. Which means very very few results anyway. Test it with this search phrase: blue colour. Result 839,072 images. Pick a blue color from the wheel under Image > color and in my case I get 14 images with the exact hex value color I've picked. Nice tool, but not for the masses I think.

wim

did not know that feature of search yet and agree with you that it is not fuzzy enough. 

It only brings back a handful of images. 

dunno if a new trend or UK thing, also checked AoA now (thanks for the idea!) to no avail and still am as clueless as before.  

14 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Another slightly curious implementation methinks.... I'll add it to the implementation of categories on the home page that don't match the ones we're asked to use in AIM. I feel Alamy could provide an improved customer experience  with a few tweaks here and there.

Mark

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Another slightly curious implementation methinks.... I'll add it to the implementation of categories on the home page that don't match the ones we're asked to use in AIM. I feel Alamy could provide an improved customer experience  with a few tweaks here and there.

Mark

Like a slider  fuzzy <> exact.

Or a fly-out with a larger color wheel with a narrow or wide eyedropper.

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Monochrome brings up over a million images.

Allan

Mostly b/w.  That's probably what clients expect in a search as well. So would you use monochrome to describe an image with block color?

Would you shoot monochrome color images to meet demand?

wim

19 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Like a slider  fuzzy <> exact.

Or a fly-out with a larger color wheel with a narrow or wide eyedropper.

Mostly b/w.  That's probably what clients expect in a search as well. So would you use monochrome to describe an image with block color?

Would you shoot monochrome color images to meet demand?

wim

Yes if there was a large block of one colour with the remainder in the image only one other colour.

Yes I would shoot mono colour to demand.

Allan