Port Tagging Critique, Please

Ed Rooney

I already had my Alamy port critiqued. There were some compliments and a few helpful suggestions. I'm asking now what you all think about my caps and tags. ???

Mine is a minimalist approach that uses only tags that I consider relative, often only 10. I will continue to do this, I think. I have also been under other pressures of late and unable to focus sharply on keywording as much as I should. I always do the tags in two visits, and I do them after images pass QC.

Sooo, what do you think? (click on the blue number)

Thanks, Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

Hello Edo,

Smashing pictures and keyword focus is OK.

I'm keeping my feedback relevent to the minimalist caption and keyword style you like. One keyword I would be tempted to use more often is Merseyside, this applies to most of the travel pictures.

Keywords and captions are so very subjective, any comments I make are trying to steer you away from false views.

2A5Y566 

Maybe missing:-  Golden Arches, Sign

I query big mac, burger, burgers, cheeseburgers. The associations are fine but they are not pictured.

2A64H0X

Maybe add: - Sunny; low sun; brown hair

2A64HCK

Spelling on “Grand ii", try “Grade Two Listed Building”, also a more British phrase.

Maybe add “Victorian Architecture”.

2A5Y4N3

Maybe add keywords “Plastic spoon” and soup.

2A5Y5E8

Spelling is stained glass.

2A64HGP

Maybe add shopping mall exterior

2A5M4RE

Maybe add Keywords:-  “shop window” and sign

2A53PP6

Maybe remove keywords food and “household food”. Different recycle collections and food is not pictured.

2A53RHW

Maybe describe as Beer Pumps in an English pub.

2A4HHNC

Maybe add “betting shop” and “fixed odds”, fixed odds is a topical phrase.

2A49GN5

Western England has connotations of a more southerly location.

Hope this helps,

James

Edited by Mr Standfast
typo
  • Like 1

A few observations....

2A13D8M - those are called setts, not cobblestones.  Leave those as keywords though as most people don't seem to know the difference.  Cobbles are natural unworked stones, usually pebbles.  Setts are manufactured or 'worked' stone.

WW1W5E, WXW5DY, WXW518, 2A139MF - no captions (except just 'Liverpool') and minimal keywords.

WW1T53 - in the UK we call them 'access platform' or more often 'cherry picker'.  Facelift is the name of a plant hire company.

Cheers... Vince

• Like 1

Oops. 4 statues I never got back to.

It's nice of you guys to check my errors. I wasn't expecting that. I have some "cobblestone" images at other locations. I'll have to revisit those too. 

Don't forget to turn back young clocks tonight. 

Ed, I'm in no position to give you advice about anything, let alone captions and keywords (no, please don't look at mine!) but I am interested in the subject of course and I'm intrigued by your minimalist approach. Might be there a danger of missing out by not adding a few synonyms here and there?

I've noticed a few things which I think are down to US terms and spellings, one has already been mentioned - betting shop for betting parlor but how about...

cellphone - maybe mobile, mobile phone, smartphone

bathrobe - dressing-gown

ATM - cash machine

draft beer - aka draught beer

I love the way that you 'see' pictures in your walks around Liverpool, and capture them discreetly. 2A53RC6 (Senior male relaxing with a beer and newspaper in a Liverpool pub) is a case in point, lovely picture, beautiful light, so natural.

It raises a question for me about captioning etiquette - that term 'Senior'. It's respectful, and I know it's a genuine bona fide keywording term,  it's probably more US centric, though maybe it's used in corporate admin, hospitals etc. over here, I don't know. However, I've never actually used it in my life, I'd be looking for an old chap, old man, elderly man, retired man if I was to walk into the pub and ask the publican, but to enter those as keywords does somehow seem so disrespectful. What to do?

• Like 3

Harry, you can refer to me with any of those terms. I'm fine with them. But I know what you mean about sensitive tags. I never use "homeless" unless the person has a begging sign that says they are. Even "retired" is tricky. Is that old person retired, or are they still working? 

In Oxfordshire, I had a car and lived in Woodstock, Summertown, and Charlton-on-Otmoor. I miss that area and my life there. 

Yeah, I got lucky with the guy in the pub. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Don't forget to turn back young clocks tonight. 

Most of my clocks are, like me, getting a bit old....😀

And don't forget your cameras - I always used to forget until I put an alarm on my phone to remind me.  Did I mention I was getting old?

On 26/10/2019 at 19:13, Vincent Lowe said:

WW1T53 - in the UK we call them 'access platform' or more often 'cherry picker'.  Facelift is the name of a plant hire company.

Spotted one while I was out and about today with 'aerial platform' on the side. I hadn't thought of that one - I'll have to revisit all my 'cherry pickers' now. 

Also, apparently - aerial work platform (AWP), elevating work platform (EWP), bucket truck, or mobile elevating work platform (MEWP).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_work_platform

• 4 months later...

I reexamined this post on this virus-filled Sunday morning. Thanks again for the helpful advice. I've send myself a text reminder to check all these points again when I get the chance. I'm getting close to being overwhelmed right now with other things than stock. 

This is a portfolio I put together a few years ago. I'm not unhappy with my selections. I wonder what others might think? 

http://edoruan.blogspot.com

50 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I reexamined this post on this virus-filled Sunday morning. Thanks again for the helpful advice. I've send myself a text reminder to check all these points again when I get the chance. I'm getting close to being overwhelmed right now with other things than stock. 

This is a portfolio I put together a few years ago. I'm not unhappy with my selections. I wonder what others might think? 

http://edoruan.blogspot.com

A very impressive vibrant portfolio Edo. I am envious.