macOS Catalina. Beware take care.

Many thanks MDM, I will certainly give it some thought, Apple were very good when I spoke to them earlier today and think they would talk me through it if  needed their help but I think I'll hold on a while longer see how I get on and hope Adobe sorts things sooner rather than later.   The thought of reinstalling all sorts of stuff does not appeal.  Could be the accumulation of things going wrong this weekend....Exhaust on car exhausted/central heating packing up/Catalina.  They say things happen in 3's.......  For the moment though, at least I can still download/edit/upload .....

Am assuming all new iMacs will now come with Catalina so if people buying brand new iMacs and using Adobe and it doesn't work 100% it's not going to look good for Adobe - just my thoughts😉

Anyway thank you everyone for your valuable input, it is very much appreciated

Carol

Catalina requires giving explicit permissions for programs to access drives and partitions.  I haven't had any trouble with Creative Cloud programs on my iMac, but Lightroom Classic seems to load a trifle slower.   If you didn't grant permission the first time you opened a program in Catalina, you can go to Systems Preferences/Security & Privacy/Privacy to give applications permission.  Click the padlock and enter your user password, then make the changes. 

Many thanks MizBrown, appreciate your input.  I have checked all the relevant permissions and they seem ok.  I don't use Lightroom just Photoshop & Bridge and checked they are up to date.  If I want to save as Tif files, I'll just have to remember to put tif after the file number as well as save as tif as this seems to work.  Days like this......as I was typing this the power went off for the whole area😓

Tomorrow is another day, again thanks everyone for your input...

Carol

For what its worth to anybody, I've just updated my 2019 MacBook Air to Catalina, and alls fine.

Lightroom and Photoshop are opening faster than they did with Mojave, in fact there would seem to be an all round speed improvement with all apps.

Yes, there seems to be a "glitch" when saving TIFF's out of PS, not a big issue with me and Adobe will sort that in due course.

I wonder if some of the more irritating issues that are being seen are showing more on pre 2019 machines(?)

I am using a 2019 iMac which I don't intend to update until next year because some of the apps are still 32 bit and I don't want to lose them. My other iMac is 2011 and doesn't qualify for Catalina which is a shame, it would be interesting to see what happens.

I hope everyone eventually has a trouble free update!

Received from Adobe Customer Care today...

Hello Carol,

Greetings from Adobe!

Thank you for supporting us and we really appreciate your understanding.

Below is the article where we have the workaround for the issue you are facing. Just you need to select the Save as option and once you get the pop-up box you have to rename the file from TEST to TEST.Tiff and select tiff as file type and proceed.

Above is the link which have the details of the know issue with Catalina and we are updating the same you will get the update over here as well.

We hope this helps.

Thanks and regards
Adobe Support

Photoshop is now doing an update which just came through, not expecting miracles but you know never, hopefully the above may help someone😉

Carol
Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change

Photoshop is now doing an update which just came through, not expecting miracles but you never know,  hopefully the above may help someone😉

Carol
UPDATE.....
Update now completed and all seems to be absolutely fine.....Raws can now be saved as Tif files exactly as before, I'm happy....😄hopefully the first of good things to happen today, fingers crossed the heating engineer will fix the heating later and the exhaust on the car will be fixed. But...... the shower pump in the bathroom developed a fault this morning which also hopefully will be sorted but it's all irrelevant, am having a small rant.  I'm happy Adobe has rectified things😄

Carol

I would urge extreme caution on any OS upgrades, whether for Mac or PC. Best not to ask system adminds about the various Windows 10 updates that have screwed things up. Apple are effectively using their customers as beta testers (and no, it's not the first time).

I'd ask myself what pressing reason do I have to update? If your current OS is running fine then why risk screwing it up? If you rely on your computer(s) for your business, and are not an IT guru happy to reformat your HDD or boot off external drives etc etc, then you really should hold off installing and wait for incremental updates/fixes before going ahead.

If you're buying a new Mac then virtually all current stock will have an older OS as it will have been shipped from China some time ago. Depending on stock throughput rates (plus when Apple decide to ship new hardware with 10.15 preinstalled) this could be the case for quite a while.

Edited by Simon E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon E said:

I would urge extreme caution on any OS upgrades, whether for Mac or PC. Best not to ask system adminds about the various Windows 10 updates that have screwed things up. Apple are effectively using their customers as beta testers (and no, it's not the first time).

I'd ask myself what pressing reason do I have to update? If your current OS is running fine then why risk screwing it up? If you rely on your computer(s) for your business, and are not an IT guru happy to reformat your HDD or boot off external drives etc etc, then you really should hold off installing and wait for incremental updates/fixes before going ahead.

If you're buying a new Mac then virtually all current stock will have an older OS as it will have been shipped from China some time ago. Depending on stock throughput rates (plus when Apple decide to ship new hardware with 10.15 preinstalled) this could be the case for quite a while.

I totally agree. I know my way around MacOS to the degree that I am happy to reformat drives, reinstall or run dual systems but as a business user I would not do an upgrade in the first few months because of the very high risk of something vital not working. 

I think the difference between Mac and Win in this regard is that Apple don't actually enforce updates whereas it seems from reading here that the Win 10 updates were (are?) pushed onto users and it is not easy to stop this. With Mac it is a simple matter of changing a few preferences in the App Store app. Correct me please if I am wrong about Windows.

4 minutes ago, MDM said:

I think the difference between Mac and Win in this regard is that Apple don't actually enforce updates whereas it seems from reading here that the Win 10 updates were (are?) pushed onto users and it is not easy to stop this. With Mac it is a simple matter of changing a few preferences in the App Store app. Correct me please if I am wrong about Windows.

No, you're right and the Win10 forced updates seem to have prompted much tearing of hair.

I sent the Photoshop link in this thread to our tech support guy in case he'd not seen it yet. He is not enjoying the new OS, he had to roll back 3 macs at a local printers earlier this week because they couldn't print anything, the whole business ground to a halt. Not covered by contract so in theory chargeable but he won't do that to a loyal customer. Safari 13 release also caused him a big headache at another client, he had to wipe & reinstall everything on 5 brand new macbooks.

Microsoft want people to drop XP and 7 but then they shoot themselves in the foot with forcing 10 updates that screw things up. Madness. At least Apple allow the user to control the process. I turn off all App Store updates & prompts and use Terminal command sudo softwareupdate -l to see what's available then download the .dmg files individually from support.apple.com/downloads. I do the same with the monthly updates for Office 2016 for mac. Most of the macs here at the office are still on 10.11 El Capitan, partly because we have an old version of FileMaker. The sudo command requires admin rights; I hope most mac users have an admin account for installing and updating and a separate general user account for security reasons. If they don't, well...

26 minutes ago, Simon E said:

No, you're right and the Win10 forced updates seem to have prompted much tearing of hair.

I sent the Photoshop link in this thread to our tech support guy in case he'd not seen it yet. He is not enjoying the new OS, he had to roll back 3 macs at a local printers earlier this week because they couldn't print anything, the whole business ground to a halt. Not covered by contract so in theory chargeable but he won't do that to a loyal customer. Safari 13 release also caused him a big headache at another client, he had to wipe & reinstall everything on 5 brand new macbooks.

Microsoft want people to drop XP and 7 but then they shoot themselves in the foot with forcing 10 updates that screw things up. Madness. At least Apple allow the user to control the process. I turn off all App Store updates & prompts and use Terminal command sudo softwareupdate -l to see what's available then download the .dmg files individually from support.apple.com/downloads. I do the same with the monthly updates for Office 2016 for mac. Most of the macs here at the office are still on 10.11 El Capitan, partly because we have an old version of FileMaker. The sudo command requires admin rights; I hope most mac users have an admin account for installing and updating and a separate general user account for security reasons. If they don't, well...

Yes Filemaker - the reason I have a dual boot system on my MacBook Pro with High Sierra and El Capitan which I use when I need to do my accounts. I stopped using Office and have switched to Pages and Numbers as they do what I need which is generally not a lot these days. Most of my work is Lightroom and Photoshop and these require 10.13 minimum now.