Affinity Photo - Capture One

Jill Morgan

Question

I am getting tired of my monthly PS fee.  With exchange it is costing over $15 CDN per month or $180 per year.  Just getting too pricey.  Anyone using Affinity Photo/Capture One?  I use Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher but awhile ago I tried Affinity Photo and decided to stick with PS.  But I'm reconsidering.

I don't think I can do another free trial, so opinions gladly taken.  When I checked it out before, it did not have a adjustment brush tool like ACR, so that kind of disqualified it for me.  Does it have one know?

Jill

• Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 22:52, Harry Harrison said:

My point about the Process Version was just that after a new Process Version is introduced, as I believe "Version 4" was in 2017, then the parameters recorded in the xmp file will move even further away from those that would have been recorded from 6.14, before that I would surmise that if you didn't use, say, the Haze filter then 6.14 might have interpreted the xmp file correctly. I can't test it so I don't know. The xmp file is just a text file that basically records parameters and values as you know.

In fact I would suggest that in certain circumstances the exported xmp file can only be interpreted correctly by your own personal copy of Lightroom. For example, I have a custom curve that I have created for inverting and adding contrast to scans of B&W negatives, the curve, clearly personal to me and called "Inverted + contrast curve", is recorded in the xmp file as follows:

crs:ToneCurveName2012="Inverted + contrast curve"

So if I was importing that RAW file with its xmp sidecar file into another fresh copy of Lightroom then the image would not be inverted and would have no contrast added. I would have to import that curve into the new version of Lightroom for things to work correctly. I haven't tried it, perhaps I should.

Simlilarly I have a custom camera profile which is recorded as:

crs:CameraProfile="7D cropped target"

I've never really thought about this before so it's probably obvious to you anyway but it does mean that writing to xmp has its limitations with respect to archiving.

Very interesting  point. I had to find time to check it out by using a preset curve in LR on one computer and transferring the raw file with xmp to another computer with the same version of Lightroom but without the preset curve. The xmp is correctly interpreted on the second computer and checking the xmp shows the curve info is all in there. I haven't checked with camera profiles but I am pretty certain it will be the same. You can't use the profile on the other computer unless you actually copy it to the appropriate location on the second machine but the raw file is correctly rendered as far as I know. Too late to check it out now. 

EDIT - just checked this for camera profiles and it doesn't work - you need the profile on the second machine. It will show missing profile and the rendering is incorrect.

Edited by MDM

14 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Moot point as I cannot go back to it anyway.

Allan

Not so moot at all. Unlike the real world Allan, you can actually go back (to the perpetual LR version if you want to do so). I don't think you can run the two simultaneously on the same installation but it is certainly possible to go back. But again I am not sure why anyone would want to unless the new version was not running properly on existing hardware. 

10 hours ago, MDM said:

The xmp is correctly interpreted on the second computer and checking the xmp shows the curve info is all in there.

Thanks for taking the time to test this, I did say that perhaps I should have done!  Yes, the curve information is indeed contained within the xmp, if I'd looked at this slightly tetchy thread on Lightroom Queen I would have known:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/curve-and-xmp.21649/

I gather the curve dropdown has now disappeared on Lightroom Classic and they are now presets but on 6.14 my image is indeed correctly rendered, i.e. inverted and contrast added, and the curve is shown correctly on the graph but labelled as 'Custom'. In fact if I select a different curve then that one disappears but can be restored by getting the data from xmp again, or better still, save it with a new name before selecting a different one. 

The fact that the colour profile doesn't come across is understandable I think and no great loss.

So, yes, it's definitely a good idea to have Lightroom set to automatically write changes into xmp as an extra safeguard against I suppose a possible irreversible catalogue corruption. I'm not sure how many other programs pick it up. I could try with Affinity Photo.

...that's a 'No' for Affinity Photo. From what I've read (not much) cross platform support for xmp is pretty tricky.

Edited by Harry Harrison

10 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

So, yes, it's definitely a good idea to have Lightroom set to automatically write changes into xmp as an extra safeguard against I suppose a possible irreversible catalogue corruption. I'm not sure how many other programs pick it up.

It is a very very good idea and the first thing I do when I create a new catalog. I accidentally deleted a a nearly new catalog some time ago and stupidly had forgotten to set automatically write changes to xmp so had to redo all the images (about 100). Fortunately the raw images are not held in the catalog of course but it gave me an unwanted day's extra work. I had low res jpegs from a previous export so had to guess the settings I had used. The jpegs had even been exported without the metadata. Pain in the a but I learnt my lesson.

Before subscription I used to update Photoshop on a yearly basis. The cost of subscription is roughly the same as the cost of the yearly update. The subscription model has no initial first time purchase cost, that was $1000 in my case.

So the subscription model is cheaper if you want to keep Adobe software up to date.

However the subscription model has resulted in much better Adobe product because the subscription model has converted the software thieves into subscribers.

Because the subscription model has cut back on piracy of its products, Adobe is in a much better financial position with the subscription model. It has invested the extra money in improving the product.

So the subscription model is a win for me, better product at no extra cost.

If you do not want to subscribe, then your old Adobe products will still work for the foreseeable future. However there will come a time when, because of changes to the OS, Adobe will stop supporting the old product.

My old copy of photoshop is still on my hard drive and works the way it did many years ago. However that is the point. The subscription, always new photoshop makes more use of artificial intelligence, and is vastly superior.