Ever since Alamy changed to the much shorter QC wait times I have uploaded in small batches - whatever is ready at the end of a day, 20 max but more usually about 12.  This fits better with my slow internet and makes the chore of keywording a little less daunting. 

I also mix my upload subjects to try to add variety e.g. from a recent trip to Denmark and Norway I have done a few from each place visited but will go back and do more so that they are spread over several months and interspersed with other subjects.  I never batch keyword as I prefer to mix the order of words to try to match different search terms so it doesn't matter if I am dealing with different subjects at any one time.

This strategy has worked very well for me with sales averaging at least one per day over the last 3 years, until the start of September when something changed.  I have entrusted Alamy with 14K images but am now feeling let down by the introduction of the Creative button especially, having being told by the head of content that they won't being reviewing my portfolio any time soon because I am primarily an editorial photographer - not too motivational!!

Much as I dislike Getty I think I am being forced into giving them first refusal on anything suitable.

Pearl

Ever since Alamy changed to the much shorter QC wait times I have uploaded in small batches - whatever is ready at the end of a day, 20 max but more usually about 12.  This fits better with my slow internet and makes the chore of keywording a little less daunting. 

I also mix my upload subjects to try to add variety e.g. from a recent trip to Denmark and Norway I have done a few from each place visited but will go back and do more so that they are spread over several months and interspersed with other subjects.  I never batch keyword as I prefer to mix the order of words to try to match different search terms so it doesn't matter if I am dealing with different subjects at any one time.

This strategy has worked very well for me with sales averaging at least one per day over the last 3 years, until the start of September when something changed.  I have entrusted Alamy with 14K images but am now feeling let down by the introduction of the Creative button especially, having being told by the head of content that they won't being reviewing my portfolio any time soon because I am primarily an editorial photographer - not too motivational!!

Much as I dislike Getty I think I am being forced into giving them first refusal on anything suitable.

Pearl

Mmmm - that b***ers up my theory then :D!  Looks like you are doing everything which would (should) get you more sales.

Everything that is bar producing more 'Creative' material (I think that should be pretty much read as advertising-style imagery: white toothy models with sand-blasted skin & pointless grins, 'concepts', extreme angles/unusual processing, avoiding natural lighting as much as possible, and anything which might be regarded as currently in vogue or soon-to-be).

Sorry, it's cynical Sunday. :(

I would love the 30% discount if it replaces the current 85% discount which Alamy currently appears to give its clients. Is this "Autumn special" going to be followed the "Winter special" which will be followed by "Liquidation special"!

Sheila

For many of us discounts seem to be the least of the problems. If well-established sellers with proven sales records are experiencing reduced levels of sales then where does that leave newer members like myself. I look at searches on All Of Alamy and most are composed of just 1-3 words. These searches are returning at a minimum, 1000's of images. I seriously doubt the clients will look at more than a couple hundred images on the first dozen pages. As a result my views keep mounting with few zooms, my CTR and Alamy ranking are plummeting and my images move further and further back in the search. I wonder how a new contributor's images can ever be found, let alone sold under these conditions.

I think that with the volume of images currently on Alamy ranking is getting to be a critical factor. After he last re-rank i have dropped way down the table,

which has dented my views and zooms by 50% to what they were running at. 

Regards

Craig

Same for me as Pearl, I already upload in fairly small batches and regularly, I certainly don't think the 'new' button has anything to do with drops in sales. And afterall, the shiny new buttons aren't that new any more are they? Something does seem to have changed, just not sure what yet - but I am starting to put more efforts in other areas.

So far this is my 2nd best month this year..... last month though was a non starter. zooms are holding up well but spread out more across all my pseudonyms rather than focused on one.... same with sales. The last re-rank that occurred also seemed to add about 50 extra images into the creative section. Hoping this will increase as i have been adding a fair few images that may fall into that category.

What I would like to see is a little more consistency, less of the peaks and troughs but I guess that will take time given the majority of my port is 6-12months old. 

Archived