Remote socket on Sony A68

Brizbee

Question

Been thinking of upgrading my old warhorse of a camera (a 12MP Sony A500) for something more modern and, with money tight, was fancying the 24MP A68. But on closer inspection it doesn't seem to come with a remote socket. With 90% of my pictures taken using a tripod and cable release it's something I definitely need. Can anyone can confirm this for me, one way or the other?

8 answers to this question

Thanks for that folks.

And the new remote control is remarkably inexpensive for a piece of photographic equipment. When I read your answers I had visions of having to pay up to £100 or more for some special one off piece of kit.

But no!  It's £18!  I can afford that!

34 minutes ago, Brizbee said:

Thanks for that folks.

And the new remote control is remarkably inexpensive for a piece of photographic equipment. When I read your answers I had visions of having to pay up to £100 or more for some special one off piece of kit.

But no!  It's £18!  I can afford that!

That's not a bad price for Sony. They have a nasty habit of overcharging for accessories. The super cheap one that I mentioned above works fine. However, I prefer using the self-timer most of the time. My trusty old 10MP Sony A100 had a dedicated slot for an electronic "cable" release. I still have the cable release -- which cost about $100 CAN in 2007 -- but I sold the camera. I continue to license images captured with the A100. It was a really good camera.

39 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's not a bad price for Sony. They have a nasty habit of overcharging for accessories. The super cheap one that I mentioned above works fine. However, I prefer using the self-timer most of the time. My trusty old 10MP Sony A100 had a dedicated slot for an electronic "cable" release. I still have the cable release -- which cost about $100 CAN in 2007 -- but I sold the camera. I continue to license images captured with the A100. It was a really good camera.

I think they went back to wired remotes after the A55, which could use your remote "plip" type. The A58 specifically mentions having to use the socket.

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I think they went back to wired remotes after the A55, which could use your remote "plip" type. The A58 specifically mentions having to use the socket.

The ebay advert claims that my "plip" is compatible with the A55, which was also a very nice camera. Yours sadly gave up the ghost as I remember.

5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The ebay advert claims that my "plip" is compatible with the A55, which was also a very nice camera. Yours sadly gave up the ghost as I remember.

Yes, died at about 33,000 clix. Replacement had about 400, I made sure of that. It was the last SLT to have GPS and wireless remote, I think- odd what Sony leaves out of a new model. Before that for the A350 I made my own switch. I haven't needed one since.