Check Your Images at 100%

suziq

Question

Hi all

This is my first post and I am reasonably new to photography.  I have searched elsewhere but can't find the answer to this question.  What exactly does "Check your images at 100%
All images should be checked at 100% (actual pixels) for correct exposure, colour cast, noise, camera shake and that no sharpening has been applied etc. using professional imaging software." mean and how do I do it?

Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere else or if it's a really dumb question!

Thanks

Suzi

7 minutes ago, MDM said:

Hold down the D key when you start up

Thanks, I've just tried that but it seems to ignore what I'm doing on the keyboard and just tries to launch the hard drive then goes to '?'. I had already gone through the reset PRAM procedure though can't be sure it was successful, it beeped several times at least.

Could it be that the white Apple keyboard (A1048) doesn't work with it? I'd read that some keyboards don't work.

Just going out for a few hours but thanks for your suggestion.

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

When viewing at 200% on  a MBPr 13" the image starts to pixelate.

Pre-retina display? Viewing rather closeup? Bionic vision? What resolution is the screen on your MBPro 13"?

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

10 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Oh, and it's an A1224 so that is pretty old of course, though I'm happy with El Capitan and all the browsers still work, unlike the 10.6 White Imac.

I know that iMac well, it's easy to work on. The original 320 or 250GB hard drives were very unreliable. When you replace the hard drive the black plastic clip and black foam that attaches the temperature sensor will require fresh double sided tape attaching. I have seen some failed 320GB drives that stopped you booting from an external drive until it was either disconnected or replaced. The keyboard should be OK. If the original drive was simply not seen the iMac should eventually have booted from the next available boot device, ie your installer. The other possibility is a problem with the USB installer. I see you are in Oxfordshire. I was at RAL near Harwell/Didcot recently for the STFC open day, if you were close I could have dropped by and checked the iMac/installer.

And (an earlier point someone made) - regarding sensor spots, when in the Lightroom develop module you need only click on the retouching brush and then tick the 'visualise spots' option which will appear underneath your picture - much the easiest way to ensure a clean image

Alex

9 hours ago, sb photos said:

I see you are in Oxfordshire. I was at RAL near Harwell/Didcot recently for the STFC open day, if you were close I could have dropped by and checked the iMac/installer.

Well it would have been very good to have met another Alamy contributor.  Many thanks for the advice and offer of help, I'll let you know how I get on.  The installer shows up on my friend's MacBook and it came from a seller with good feedback who sells them all the time so I suspect it's OK. Good to rule the keyboard out of the equation also.

Thanks again.