Fish ID required.

Rob C

Probably thick lipped grey mullet, Chelon labrosus.  Very common around harbours and estuaries in Devon and Cornwall.  I used to have to sample them by seining from the River Lynher in Cornwall to assist a colleagues PhD project.

Yes, it appears you're both right, and my suspicions were unfounded. Grey Mullet it is. Thanks for both of you taking the time to reply.

53 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Easier to catch with a camera and lens than a rod and line.  Lovely fish.

They're bottom and detritus feeders, filtering algae and small crustaceans from sand and mud, so not interested in normal bait.  Very poor eating - we only tried them once.  Never again.

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

They're bottom and detritus feeders, filtering algae and small crustaceans from sand and mud, so not interested in normal bait.  Very poor eating - we only tried them once.  Never again.

Lots of people try - and get very frustrated trying to catch them.  I believe freely floating bread is a favourite but they have very sensitive mouths and do detect hooks and line.  Never eaten one - I meant lovely as in lovely to watch them around harbours.

1 hour ago, Starsphinx said:

Lots of people try - and get very frustrated trying to catch them.  I believe freely floating bread is a favourite but they have very sensitive mouths and do detect hooks and line.

The advantages of a scientific sampling licence and a small seine net.  😊

Edited by John Richmond
typo
  • Love 1