Captioning accuracy

TABan

Not my photo, but this is definitely not what the caption says it is: https://www.alamy.com/stock-image-whitetail-deer-fawn-still-in-spots-on-a-grassy-field-167128602.html

Since whitetails are as common as squirrels in my neck of the woods, I know them when I see them and adult bucks never have spots. This looks like an axis deer or chital, native to the Indian subcontinent.  Evidently there are several introduced herds in Texas, which is what may have led to the confusion, if that's where the photo was taken.

Edited by TABan

10 hours ago, TABan said:

Evidently there are several introduced herds in Texas, which is what may have led to the confusion, if that's where the photo was taken.

I doubt it. The images in that portfolio that have a location in the caption are from the Ukraine.

wim

1 minute ago, wiskerke said:

I doubt it. The images in that portfolio that have a location in the caption are from the Ukraine.

wim

Interesting. According to Wikipedia, the whitetail has been introduced to several countries in Europe. Ukraine isn’t mentioned, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there. So I had it flipped.

They’re beautiful animals, but some in my area consider them big rats. Lately the Des Plaines River, which runs about 3km to the west of me has flooded several times. The local population has sought dryer ground and has been seen foraging within blocks of our house. They have a taste for many garden plants.

2 hours ago, TABan said:

Interesting. According to Wikipedia, the whitetail has been introduced to several countries in Europe. Ukraine isn’t mentioned, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there. So I had it flipped.

They’re beautiful animals, but some in my area consider them big rats. Lately the Des Plaines River, which runs about 3km to the west of me has flooded several times. The local population has sought dryer ground and has been seen foraging within blocks of our house. They have a taste for many garden plants.

Haha whitetail deer in all those posh Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.

That doesn't make the animal in the image whitetail deer though. However it's not my department. At first sight I thought fallow deer, Dama dama, which are abundant near here and a pest on the local golf links. They are native to the Ukraine and anywhere in between here and there. The ones we eat are usually from Poland, which is a few miles from Lviv, the location given in the portfolio. They come from farms. The animal in the images (there are quite a few) doesn't look like it's in the wild. Nor do all these lions and tigers.

However the antlers don't look like fallow deer either, but maybe that's not what makes the difference. So you may well have been right with the Indian species. Indian is in the keywords btw.

wim

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Haha whitetail deer in all those posh Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.

That doesn't make the animal in the image whitetail deer though. However it's not my department. At first sight I thought fallow deer, Dama dama, which are abundant near here and a pest on the local golf links. They are native to the Ukraine and anywhere in between here and there. The ones we eat are usually from Poland, which is a few miles from Lviv, the location given in the portfolio. They come from farms. The animal in the images (there are quite a few) doesn't look like it's in the wild. Nor do all these lions and tigers.

However the antlers don't look like fallow deer either, but maybe that's not what makes the difference. So you may well have been right with the Indian species. Indian is in the keywords btw.

wim

Yes, it is amusing to see them in those environs. We get the local coyotes too.

I also thought fallow deer at first, but then saw their antlers when I looked them up and they’re quite different. Interestingly, there is a small herd of fallow deer on the grounds of Argonne National Laboratory southwest of here.

• 2 weeks later...

White tails definitely like to munch on your garden plants. When I go to the nursery in the spring to choose bedding plants, I often see “deer resistant “ on the tags.

I don’t know I’d this means deer won’t eat them, or if they do, they get a sour stomach! 🤪