Difference between price sold and "custom pricing" tool. + currency

Hello,

Maybe someone can help with that. For the second time, I have sold a picture at a price under the value displayed on Alamy’s tool “custom pricing”

The difference this time is so huge that I really have doubts. I sold a picture with the following licence conditions:

Usage: Editorial

Media: Magazine - Print and App

Print run: up to 5 million

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1/4 page

Start: 01 January 2014

End: 01 February 2014

One-time, world rights (excluding U.S. English)

It’s sold for 300$

But, when I check the same picture with the same licensing condition on the “custom pricing” tool online on Alamy website, the price should be 490 $.

The difference is huge and even at a special discount, it looks like there is an issue here. Why my picture is sold at such a discounted price ?

Did anyone experienced the same issue with pricing or are the prices online with the custom pricing tool inaccurate ?

Another problem I have, is the currency used.

I live in Europe and I have sold an image in Germany but the amount appears in $. I have sold an image in the UK and again the amount was in $ at half the price it should have been (in any currency).

Customers buy in Pounds or Euro and the amount is changed to $ ? Why ? It seems to complicate the all process plus adding exchange rates discrepancies while the original amounts were in local currencies.  

Many thanks for your help

Hello,

Maybe someone can help with that.  I have sold a picture at a price under the value displayed on Alamy’s tool “custom pricing”

Licence conditions:

Usage: Editorial

Media: Magazine - Print and App

Print run: up to 5 million

Placement: Inside

Image Size: 1/4 page

Start: 01 January 2014

End: 01 February 2014

One-time, world rights (excluding U.S. English)

Sold for 300$

But, when I check the same picture with the same licensing condition with the “custom pricing” tool on Alamy website, the price displayed is 490 $.

From 490 to 300: a huge difference.

Is there an issue there ? Did anyone experienced the same issue with pricing or are the prices online and the custom pricing tool inaccurate or just  guidelines without any guarantee ?

Another question I have, is the currency used.

I live in Europe and I have sold an image in Germany but the amount appears in $. I have sold an image in the UK and again the amount was in $ (at half the price it should have been again using the custom pricing tool).

Customers buy in Pounds or Euro and the amount is changed to $ ? Why ? It seems to complicate the process plus adding exchange rates discrepancies while the original amounts are already in local currencies.  

Many thanks for your answers and help, I am a bit at a loss here

Alamy  had to make a choice of reporting currency and it chose USD because that's its main market.

The calculator doesn't reflect bulk pricing and other contracts negotiated by Alamy.

You are very fortunate to see a discount of only 40%- most are much higher. Most of my sales are effectively discounted by 80-90%. That's supply and demand, I'm afraid.

$300 is a very, very good fee for that size in a magazine these days.

Unfortunately, Alamy's price calculator is now a work of creative fiction. There have been many discussions on this topic, but none of them has gone anywhere. Expect much greater discounts in the future. Spacecadet is correct, $300 is a really good fee for a magazine these days.

Have you not read the contract you agreed to when you joined?

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/contract/default.asp

12.2 As soon as a licence is purchased by a Customer paying by credit card or when an invoice is raised to a Customer, Alamy shall report to you online. The report shall be in US Dollars

With regard to pricing....  it's probably the most common subject on this forum ......

Ah, every new contributor seems to ask about the price received on their first sale and Alamy's calculator price...even me. And Alamy's commission rate was only 35% when I sold my first licence in 2008 for $300. Looking back at my first year with Alamy almost brings tears to my old eyes, especially with the recent $10 distributor sale I just had which netted me $3!

Dave

Hi,

Thank you all for your precious answers and advices. For those who seem to be shocked by my questions: Again, my concern was about the difference between the custom pricing tool price and the price sold, not by the amount sold itself. Of course I am very happy to have made this sale. If my questions looked like complaints, it wasn't the case,

Cheers

Archived