All criticism is welcome.

Stephen Dwyer

My opinion: strong editorial portfolio, pretty representative of Oz (sorry I didn't look at anything else, I wonder why...). Ha those Sydney commuting days...

Just a typo in your profile description "I'm and Australian"

I like your work, you should do well.

18 hours ago, gvallee said:

My opinion: strong editorial portfolio, pretty representative of Oz (sorry I didn't look at anything else, I wonder why...). Ha those Sydney commuting days...

Just a typo in your profile description "I'm and Australian"

I like your work, you should do well.

Thanks Gen, good pick up on the spelling. 

Hello Stephen,

I like how you compose your shots.  Looking at your port each shot I see I think, this is exactly how I would have shot or composed it.  Makes your subject/s stand out.  Can't even think how you could improve on the images, only thing which if I may suggest is to review the captions.  Don't know if you are in the distributor scheme, but simplifying or shortening the captions so they are easier to translate to different languages might help (not referring to News images), although I am guilty of having longish wordy captions myself which does not help with sale-ability. I shall be reviewing and fixing soon so that instead of an entire sentence there are just basic descriptive words.

Very good composition and variety, is my opinion as a 'non-pro' FWIW; you did say all criticism was welcome.

Helen 

14 hours ago, hsessions said:

Hello Stephen,

I like how you compose your shots.  Looking at your port each shot I see I think, this is exactly how I would have shot or composed it.  Makes your subject/s stand out.  Can't even think how you could improve on the images, only thing which if I may suggest is to review the captions.  Don't know if you are in the distributor scheme, but simplifying or shortening the captions so they are easier to translate to different languages might help (not referring to News images), although I am guilty of having longish wordy captions myself which does not help with sale-ability. I shall be reviewing and fixing soon so that instead of an entire sentence there are just basic descriptive words.

Very good composition and variety, is my opinion as a 'non-pro' FWIW; you did say all criticism was welcome.

Helen 

Hello Helen

Thank you for your comments, I am in the distribution scheme. I'm particularly interested in your point about captions because i have seen conflicting advice on them. I thought Alamy recommended we write sentences? They also state that only 15% of their revenue comes from Distributors so Im not sure which way to go here. 

Do you sell more through distribution?

7 minutes ago, Stephen Dwyer said:

I thought Alamy recommended we write sentences?

They certainly did. An external search engine will recognise a sentence and return more hits. Not that I always adhere to that rule myself, but I should.

I am also in the distributor scheme but I'm not sure what it has to do with translations.

5 hours ago, Stephen Dwyer said:

Hello Helen

Thank you for your comments, I am in the distribution scheme. I'm particularly interested in your point about captions because i have seen conflicting advice on them. I thought Alamy recommended we write sentences? They also state that only 15% of their revenue comes from Distributors so Im not sure which way to go here. 

Do you sell more through distribution?

Stephen, what I meant about very long wordy captions was that they might not translate well to another language, something might get lost in the translation.  When I search Google and find my images with Italian, Spanish, Japanese  descriptions (distributor Sites) I think, I sometimes wonder how accurate ithey are, I have also found that some words were not translated from English at all,  so the translating tool could not find an equivalent.  Well, don't mind me,  I may have just been thinking out loud when I made that suggestion, but I will be reviewing my captions anyway.  I do have quite a bit licensed through distributors and the older images seem to be doing quite well.  Shorter captions could be the reason, and they aren't 'optimised' and most have poor discoverability.   Could be that a good per image CTR has something to do with it though; still will test the captions thing. And see how that goes.

Helen

11 hours ago, hsessions said:

Stephen, what I meant about very long wordy captions was that they might not translate well to another language, something might get lost in the translation.  When I search Google and find my images with Italian, Spanish, Japanese  descriptions (distributor Sites) I think, I sometimes wonder how accurate ithey are, I have also found that some words were not translated from English at all,  so the translating tool could not find an equivalent.  Well, don't mind me,  I may have just been thinking out loud when I made that suggestion, but I will be reviewing my captions anyway.  I do have quite a bit licensed through distributors and the older images seem to be doing quite well.  Shorter captions could be the reason, and they aren't 'optimised' and most have poor discoverability.   Could be that a good per image CTR has something to do with it though; still will test the captions thing. And see how that goes.

Helen

Hello Helen

Thank you, this is all helpful information that I'm learning along the way. I am "wordy" by nature so it will be hard for me to cut down but i will go back and try to de-Australianise my captions so that translations are easier.

• 2 weeks later...