An interesting discussion about watermarking news images in publications to stop other news organisations using them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1095986617767157760

This is the big people talking, Times, Guardian etc. 

A little surreal but news photographers do get a mention towards the end.

could this become a trend.....?

I don't know about the nationals but I do know its a real issue around my local area - whose papers are by the Newsquest group.  I work with a small group covering emergency service stories.   The locals have not only nicked photos from us (which they had to pay a pretty penny for to avoid court - they have learned with us at least we do not take it sitting down) but have stolen photos from the county council, and at least one business - which is before you get into social media and people who do not realize someone cannot just take their photo and use it without paying.  We sometimes get asked by the services themselves if they can have photos of incidents for their social media - and while we are happy to agree we have to be really firm about such images being clearly watermarked and attributed to prevent the local papers nicking them - and it should tell you everything you need to know that the services fully understand where we are coming from.

3 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I don't know about the nationals but I do know its a real issue around my local area - whose papers are by the Newsquest group.  I work with a small group covering emergency service stories.   The locals have not only nicked photos from us (which they had to pay a pretty penny for to avoid court - they have learned with us at least we do not take it sitting down) but have stolen photos from the county council, and at least one business - which is before you get into social media and people who do not realize someone cannot just take their photo and use it without paying.  We sometimes get asked by the services themselves if they can have photos of incidents for their social media - and while we are happy to agree we have to be really firm about such images being clearly watermarked and attributed to prevent the local papers nicking them - and it should tell you everything you need to know that the services fully understand where we are coming from.

The very group who had a competition to see which local rag could get the most free content.

Just now, mickfly said:

The very group who had a competition to see which local rag could get the most free content.

Don't get me started - even the local photography groups are starting to give them a wide berth.  I mean if all the cost-cutting meant they provided a great news service I could understand it but they don't - its the opposite.  Their stories - when they actually have a story (like they totally ignored an attempted murder last month) are so generically written they could be done on a modified "create a daily mail headline" app.  The more staff they make redundant or who leave voluntarily the worse it gets.  20 miles away in the next county its a different group and the difference in quality is unbelievable - stories written by reporters who went and checked them,  photos of the actual thing being reported - if possible taken by someone who knows what they are doing, and paid for when done by non-staff.
I see in the press gazette today their staff are striking over crap money - as both a photographer who sometimes covers local newsworthy stuff and as a consumer of news, nothing would make me happier than to hear that the local group had been sold out and taken over by someone else.

4 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Don't get me started - even the local photography groups are starting to give them a wide berth.  I mean if all the cost-cutting meant they provided a great news service I could understand it but they don't - its the opposite.  Their stories - when they actually have a story (like they totally ignored an attempted murder last month) are so generically written they could be done on a modified "create a daily mail headline" app.  The more staff they make redundant or who leave voluntarily the worse it gets.  20 miles away in the next county its a different group and the difference in quality is unbelievable - stories written by reporters who went and checked them,  photos of the actual thing being reported - if possible taken by someone who knows what they are doing, and paid for when done by non-staff.
I see in the press gazette today their staff are striking over crap money - as both a photographer who sometimes covers local newsworthy stuff and as a consumer of news, nothing would make me happier than to hear that the local group had been sold out and taken over by someone else.

https://blog.mickflynnimages.com/2017/05/banned-from-my-local-newspaper.html

6 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

An interesting discussion about watermarking news images in publications to stop other news organisations using them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gordonrayner/status/1095986617767157760

This is the big people talking, Times, Guardian etc. 

A little surreal but news photographers do get a mention towards the end.

could this become a trend.....?

Shouldn't the watermark be the photographer's name?

Archived