Hello from London

Cheese Scientist

Hi and welcome. You might increase your chances of sales if you include the subjects' names in the tags and not just in the captions as the captions have less weight than the tags. I have heard it said that having a word or phrase in both the captions and the tags increases the chances of a sale. Yes.

1 minute ago, Cheese Scientist said:

I wasn't aware of that! Thanks very much for the advice MDM!

Looks like I've got some tagging to do.

:-)

No problem. I think I got that as a definite from Doc (Kumar) who is one of the regulars here and a big seller so it is almost certainly true. 

1 minute ago, Inchiquin said:

I'm fascinated by the idea of a pregnant couple.

Alan

Haven't the baby scientists managed to produce an embryo (baby?) using DNA from 3 people. Even more fascinating perhaps?

5 minutes ago, Cheese Scientist said:

In general Alan, or just those 2?

Just the idea of a couple getting pregnant. But as MDM suggests, you can do almost anything with DNA these days.

Alan

Ah, so this isn't just a forum to talk about photography??

Actually, I've been a surrogate for a gay couple, having 2 children for them so there are 3 of us in that parental group!

I think that if they'd been able to do the DNA from 3 people at the time, that would have been the ideal scenario.

41 minutes ago, Cheese Scientist said:

Ah, so this isn't just a forum to talk about photography??

Actually, I've been a surrogate for a gay couple, having 2 children for them so there are 3 of us in that parental group!

I think that if they'd been able to do the DNA from 3 people at the time, that would have been the ideal scenario.

But I doubt if any men got pregnant during the process... ;)

As this is a forum for introductions I think a bit of leeway is in order with regard to what we talk about!

Alan

1 hour ago, Inchiquin said:

But I doubt if any men got pregnant during the process... ;)

As this is a forum for introductions I think a bit of leeway is in order with regard to what we talk about!

Alan

How about football. Are Spurs going to buy anyone then?

10 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

No. The Spurs renaissance is over :(

Alan

Your pessimism may be justified but I am more optimistic. After all there is that new stadium thing about to happen any month now :unsure:

Amanda or CS?

You have some really nice portraits, but very little IPTC or caption information?

Like your style.

Ah the NIKON Z,  I am personally offended by any NIKON that does not have the

F mount.  I went back to NIKON after CANON ended the FD mount....

Chuck

5 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Amanda or CS?

You have some really nice portraits, but very little IPTC or caption information?

Like your style.

Ah the NIKON Z,  I am personally offended by any NIKON that does not have the

F mount.  I went back to NIKON after CANON ended the FD mount....

Chuck

There is a Nikon adaptor that makes most F mount lenses fully compatible with the mirrorless Z cameras so Nikon has not abandoned the F mount, just moved on adapting to the times. 60 years with the same mount is pretty decent in comparison to other makers. If Nikon had not done a total redesign of the lens mount, then 10 years from now there may be no Nikon as they would be likely going the way of the dinosaurs. They have come late to the mirrorless market anyway as Sony in particular has gained a big slice of the professional market where a lot of photographers have abandoned the DSLR. Word is that mirrorless is definitely the future and the future has an awful habit of becoming the present very fast.

The tecnhical experts are all full of praise for the new mount in terms of the potential for lens design. Apparently the new mount faciliates making high quality, lighter lenses a lot cheaper. If one want to really take advantage of the lightness of the Z bodies, then using the new lighter lenses is essential or there is no advantage in terms of weight.  And the in-body stabilisation allows non-VR F mount lenses to become instant VR lenses.

In fact, David Kilpatrick has some really interesting articles in Camera Craft magazine on the potential of the new mount and the cameras. Well worth a read :D

8 hours ago, MDM said:

There is a Nikon adaptor that makes most F mount lenses fully compatible with the mirrorless Z cameras so Nikon has not abandoned the F mount, just moved on adapting to the times. 60 years with the same mount is pretty decent in comparison to other makers. If Nikon had not done a total redesign of the lens mount, then 10 years from now there may be no Nikon as they would be likely going the way of the dinosaurs. They have come late to the mirrorless market anyway as Sony in particular has gained a big slice of the professional market where a lot of photographers have abandoned the DSLR. Word is that mirrorless is definitely the future and the future has an awful habit of becoming the present very fast.

The tecnhical experts are all full of praise for the new mount in terms of the potential for lens design. Apparently the new mount faciliates making high quality, lighter lenses a lot cheaper. If one want to really take advantage of the lightness of the Z bodies, then using the new lighter lenses is essential or there is no advantage in terms of weight.  And the in-body stabilisation allows non-VR F mount lenses to become instant VR lenses.

In fact, David Kilpatrick has some really interesting articles in Camera Craft magazine on the potential of the new mount and the cameras. Well worth a read :D

Sorry MDM,

You are trying to use the same excuse that was used years ago by CANON and some at NIKON.  NIKON cameras have continued to use the F mount for decades and it has worked just fine.  My first NIKON was a black SP (not F mount), but over the last 40 years I have owned F Mount NIKON bodies and I don't see the day of that changing and I do not believe that it was a smart move by NIKON, opinions may vary....

Thanks Chuck - I'm not sure what you mean by 'IPTC or caption information' - is that just the tagging?

I've not used any Z-mount lenses yet - just my existing ones with the adaptor. However, I'd not really looked into it much beforehand and I'd not realised that some of them wouldn't work with auto focus so that's a pain.

Overall, I prefer my D810.

6 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Sorry MDM,

You are trying to use the same excuse that was used years ago by CANON and some at NIKON.  NIKON cameras have continued to use the F mount for decades and it has worked just fine.  My first NIKON was a black SP (not F mount), but over the last 40 years I have owned F Mount NIKON bodies and I don't see the day of that changing and I do not believe that it was a smart move by NIKON, opinions may vary....

Sorry Chuck but that is missing the point. This is not Nikon abandoning the F mount just for the sake of it. They have not abandoned the F mount  anyway as there is an adaptor for F mount lenses.  A new lens mount is essential if Nikon is to compete in the mirrorless market. It comes down to lens mount width and flange distance.

But rather than me trying to explain as a non-expert in lens and camera body design, I will pass you over to the experts. Do please have a look at these links. 

Here a Nikon optical engineer  explains it all. 

The following articles are excellent: Lens mounts and Nikon Z versus Nikon F mounts.

1 hour ago, Cheese Scientist said:

Thanks Chuck - I'm not sure what you mean by 'IPTC or caption information' - is that just the tagging?

I've not used any Z-mount lenses yet - just my existing ones with the adaptor. However, I'd not really looked into it much beforehand and I'd not realised that some of them wouldn't work with auto focus so that's a pain.

Overall, I prefer my D810.

I am sure he does mean tagging and captioning. You are providing very minimal information in general. You should really elaborate more in the captions and make sure you have the important information in the tags (keywords) as well as I said above as the tags have more weight than the captions in searches.

As far as I know, the AF-D lenses won't autofocus as there is no AF motor in the camera body but otherwise these lenses are fully compatible in terms of communication with the camera body. However, a massive advantage of the new bodies is the in-body stabilisation which allows non-VR lenses to instantly become VR lenses with a supposed 3-stop advantage in terms of shutter speed. 

Amanda or CS,

Take a look at the images from longtime Alamy contributors and on most you will see pretty extensive caption and keyword information.

Who, What, Where, When and Why about an image.  As I've written I spend more time researching my caption and keyword information

then I do preparing the image for upload and I spend a lot of time prepping images.

Chuck

Archived