Property Release Question?

I normally do not take pictures of man made structures, as I focus on nature and wildlife.  But on a rare occasion I might, if I see something that really catches my eye.   I am not really clear on what exactly type of picture requires a Property Release and would appreciate some clarification.  I mean, if you take a picture the famous New York cityscape, do you have to get permission of every single property owner that falls in the pictures?  That would be millions of people.  If you take a landscape picture that has a few houses in the background, do you have to get permission from the owners of those houses?   When do you need a property release?

No, you do not need property releases for these images. You list them RM, or RF-Editorial, and tick “Yes” in the box that asks if there is property, then tick “No” in the box that asks if you have property releases. Don’t list them as just plain RF.

My belief is, if I have a landscape and there is a very distant house or farm, barely there, I will sometimes list RF. But if the property consumes a good area of the image, or has identifying features, I won’t use RF.

But in those circumstances, using pure RF can be iffy.

This is just my humble opinion, and I’m sure others might disagree.

Betty

I think this part of the Alamy blog sums things up best: "If you have annotated the images per the above, customers are notified with the following; “If you want to use the image commercially, you might also need permission from the model, artist, owner, estate, trademark or brand”. This puts the onus on them to ensure that should they wish to use an image commercially, they will need to seek releases themselves."

I find that my images with releases sell far better but sometimes its impossible to get one so shoot and load up and let Alamy Sales team do the rest

On 10/20/2018 at 11:22, Betty LaRue said:

No, you do not need property releases for these images. You list them RM, or RF-Editorial, and tick “Yes” in the box that asks if there is property, then tick “No” in the box that asks if you have property releases. Don’t list them as just plain RF.

My belief is, if I have a landscape and there is a very distant house or farm, barely there, I will sometimes list RF. But if the property consumes a good area of the image, or has identifying features, I won’t use RF.

But in those circumstances, using pure RF can be iffy.

This is just my humble opinion, and I’m sure others might disagree.

Betty

Having or not having the proper releases for a commercial sale does not have to do with the image being RF or RM. As long as you tick the boxes saying you have no releases, you're OK. All my images are RM. 

John Howard, are you an Alamy contributor? I don't see that you have any images on Alamy. 

Edo

Archived