How to download photos I uploaded to Alamy ?

Hi everybody,

Is there a way to download photographs I uploaded to Alamy ? I didn't see that on the dashbaord. The reason is I lost some of them on a hard drive (accidentally formated) and the only way to recover them would be dowload the ones I sent to Alamy. I also asked Alamy by e-mail but didn't have an answer yet… So I hope It is possible.
Thanks.

On 9/10/2018 at 19:04, JeanCharles said:

Hi everybody,

Is there a way to download photographs I uploaded to Alamy ? I didn't see that on the dashbaord. The reason is I lost some of them on a hard drive (accidentally formated) and the only way to recover them would be dowload the ones I sent to Alamy. I also asked Alamy by e-mail but didn't have an answer yet… So I hope It is possible.
Thanks.

If you have not used the hard drive after you formatted it, it's easy to get all the content back.

It's harder if you have already written stuff on it, but not impossible.

Just google it.

wim

2 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Another reminder of the need to back up your data.....

km

Yes, I know and I wanted to do that. I've had a 2 To La Cie hard drive on which I used to do the back up (on a mac machine) but it crashed 2 months ago. Nevertheless, it was still possible to copy the photos from it, so I pulled up my old WD 500 Go HD and copied my photos on this one and put therefore recent photos. So I stopped doing backups because I would have to do it on the WD hard drive. And recently my mac reminded me I hadn't done any backup for x days… I didn't pay attention, I clicked on it and then realized it would format the HD. So I stopped the process but it was too late…

Then I looked for softwares able to recover files on a formated hd, free at the beginning. it took about 6 hours to scan the hd. So I didn't turn the computer off for 1 week because I tried several softwares and I didn't want to loose the data if turned off. So It recovered some files but not all. Finally, I found a (non free) software able to recover photos from SD cards ! And it worked (85-90 % recovered). But still unable to recover the ones taken in France at the seaside during summer holidays. A few are on Flickr but most of them are on Alamy…

2 hours ago, JeanCharles said:

You mean 1 on internal hd, 1 on external hd and 1 on other hd or in the cloud ?

It has been said by others in the past NOT to use offsite cloud as a backup. If you have your own cloud drive/s then ok.

Personally I have hourly backup on my iMac. Only operating system and apps are on my iMac drive for which there is a separate backup. All files are sent to a duo mirrored drive with two 2Tb drives which are backed up daily to another duo mirrored drive with two 2Tb drives.

Then once a week the computer drive and the files drive are backed up separately to off site drives.

Allan

6 hours ago, JeanCharles said:

You mean 1 on internal hd, 1 on external hd and 1 on other hd or in the cloud ?

In my case,, everything is backed up on three external drives as well as being on my 'working' internal hard drive

'archive' external drives - for when i need to access the images again (currently i have 12 x 2TB of these)

'backup' eternal drives - in case my archive drive fails (again 12 x 2TB)

"back up back up' external drives in a second location - if ever i lose both archive and backup drive (another 12 x 2TB)

Once i've edited the work , the files are taken off the internal hard drive of my working computer.

km

9 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

In my case,, everything is backed up on three external drives as well as being on my 'working' internal hard drive

'archive' external drives - for when i need to access the images again (currently i have 12 x 2TB of these)

'backup' eternal drives - in case my archive drive fails (again 12 x 2TB)

"back up back up' external drives in a second location - if ever i lose both archive and backup drive (another 12 x 2TB)

Once i've edited the work , the files are taken off the internal hard drive of my working computer.

km

Have to agree with Keith, backup is not an option it is key and integral to work 

Many years ago I was taught by the IT industry  - Backup is a 3 - 2 - 1 principle

3 Copies of everything

2 Copies on different media

1 Copy stored off-site

How you do it matters not but with this principle you are pretty well covered 

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

JeanCharles

Ask Alamy and they will probably help you if it just a few images. I had a problem with around 1800 'lost' images. In the end I made an offer of money to cover staff time/effort and they were very helpful. In my experience Alamy will be helpful when they can be but obviously this is a favour and they can't justify losing staff time if it is a significant issue as it was with me.

I have two external HD backups and two Cloud backups + Mac. When I have an image in all four backup locations I will remove from the Mac ( when I get around to it).

There are 55 photos I need to get back. Hope they will be ok. All the more as I don't want of course to use this site as a cloud backup. Now I must say Thanks you guys… and ladies ;)

Archived