Personal Use Licenses

Hi all.

Recently I noticed a huge amount of my sales are going under personal licences for $20. In fact, 14 of my last 22 sales have been bought under this license. Now, call me cynical but who buys a photo of a shopping centre for personal use??

I work for a sign company, and we print custom wallpapers, using Alamy as one of our sources of images. When I buy a license to use an image in this way, it costs us in the region of £300. Now, if I was less honest, I could quite easily buy a cheaper license, use the image for what I intend, charge my customer full whack, and pocket the rest. And noone would ever know any different. I would never do that, because I sell on here and Id hate to think someone would do that to me. But the more personal licenses that I keep selling, the more Im convincing myself that this is whats going on.

Anyone else have lots of personal sales?

Andy

Just now, MandyD said:

you can opt out of sales for Personal Use I believe.

Oh really, I didnt know that. But then would I be doing myself out of th 14 sales? Dilemmas! :)

3 minutes ago, FCUM said:

Oh really, I didnt know that. But then would I be doing myself out of th 14 sales? Dilemmas! :)

maybe...maybe not...

44 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

If you search the forum, you will find a lot of earlier discussions about this topic.

Yes thanks John, I didnt realise. Just looking through a few now. Seems Im not the only one. 

So is there now an option to prevent just PU without stopping distributor sales?

Andy

22 minutes ago, FCUM said:

Yes thanks John, I didnt realise. Just looking through a few now. Seems Im not the only one. 

So is there now an option to prevent just PU without stopping distributor sales?

Andy

I don't think the option you mention exists, but I'm not sure. I've just learned to live with PU sales.

Interesting that you get so many. I seldom see more than one PU or Presentation license per month.

On 25/07/2018 at 23:41, John Mitchell said:

I don't think the option you mention exists, but I'm not sure. I've just learned to live with PU sales.

Interesting that you get so many. I seldom see more than one PU or Presentation license per month.

To be honest John, its not something I had ever noticed before, and looking back through my sales, I dont think Ive had any PU sales for a long time. I only sell around half a dozen images a month but one day in June, I sold 20 images over a 2 day period, all shot in the same location, and all for PU licenses. A month later I sold another image of an unrelated subject, again a PU license. So I hoping its not going to be a regular thing, but clearly these 20 images were all bought by the same buyer trying to get them for the lowest rate. Ive emailed Alamy and they have asked for the references so be interesting to see what they say.

Andy

On 25/07/2018 at 23:19, FCUM said:

Andy

From Alamy re PU

“Restricting your images will remove them from the distribution pool.

It won’t change anything on your dashboard though as you haven’t technically opted out which is why it still says ‘IN’.”

Alamy says by putting a restriction on PU sales you also are excluded from distributor sales. (Something to do with the way Alamy handles distribution to their distributors.)

Personally I have never had many distributor sales, about 3 or 4 only without checking records, so it made some sense for me to restrict PU sales.

Allan

Archived