7 hours ago, aphperspective said:

That with dry ginger and ice was my fav tipple, purists will be raising their eye no doubt.:mellow:

:o:huh:

Only with the blends to help hide the taste.;)

Allan

On 04/07/2018 at 10:19, geogphotos said:

I'd think that what this image illustrates best is a type of fold called an 'anticline'.

I'm certainly not a geologist but to me it looks like sedimentary rock that has been metamorphosed.

I'd add words such as metamorphic, strata, fold, folded, bedding plane, layers.

Strictly speaking it is an antiform as you would need to know the age relations between the rocks to say definitively that is is an anticline where the oldest rocks are in the core of the structure.  In other words the sequence could be overturned and the youngest rocks could be in the core. This area is south of what used to be known as the Variscan Front, which defines a region of intense deformation of the continental crust which extends across into southern England and continental Europe. As far as I know there are overturned rock sequences in West Cork. 

folded-mudstone-anticline-rock-strata-with-quartz-veins-on-an-exposed-coastal-cliff-in-west-cork-ireland-folded-by-geological-movement-P76RCW.jpg

sedimentary-rock-strata-folded-vertically-and-exposed-by-coastal-erosion-west-coast-ireland-P76RCX.jpg

If I change the caption anymore i'll wear out my keypad :mellow:.

But it is an interesting subject, the top image shows the original in relation to the rest of the cliff and the bottom one was taken not 3 metres from them, straight vertical.

Must have been a lot of bending going on back then. :) 

I wouldn't worry too much about it although what I said about antiform could be significant in this area where the bedding is vertical or overturned although the shapes here in the cliff may be due to recent slumping rather than any tectonic origin. The vertical bedding is tectonic in origin and took place around 290 million years ago or thereabouts. There is obviously a lot of history in this section as the deformation of the rocks took place maybe 100 million years after they were deposited.The material at the top of the cliff is very recent - in the order of 10-20 thousand years maybe as it is either glacial or periglacial.  

As I said before, I would not hold my breath waiting for a sale. Academics do not generally have money to pay for images for research papers and they tend to use their own, taken during field work. Text books are the only likely market and you would need to be illustrating something unique or very well-described. This is a complex section which could keep geologists arguing for a while. That is the interesting thing about geology - trying to interpret what happened in the past on the basis of what is visible now and the answers are not always apparent.

Thanks again for the very informative input, i'll not be holding my breath on these for a sale, just an interesting set of images from a day out. I was more interested in the Sand Martins nesting above that caught my eye.

Thanks again.

Andy

Archived