Bumble bee ID help please.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't wish to start another thread for this and as it is another insect thought I would continue on this thread.:)

Any help appreciated in identifying this Dragonfly.

insectdragonfly-on-flag-iris-leaf-P28Y2Y

Allan

That is me BTW not the dragonflies name.:D

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't wish to start another thread for this and as it is another insect thought I would continue on this thread.:)

Allan

Allan,

I think it's a female Broad-bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa), but I stand to be corrected by any experts on here.

John.

8 minutes ago, Stokie said:

Allan,

I think it's a female Broad-bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa), but I stand to be corrected by any experts on here.

John.

That was quick John. Thanks for your input, I will look it up.

Allan

By George sir I think you've got it. The female seems to have a slightly longer and narrower body than the male.

Thanks again.

ITMA

On 30/05/2018 at 06:36, Davey Towers said:

I am having great difficulty Identifying this one as I can't match it to a particular type due to the orange hackle and buff tail but no "rings"

Thanks in advance, davey

a-bumble-bee-collecting-pollen-from-a-fl

It could be a tree bumblebee also known as a new garden bumblebee  Bombus hypnorum

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Think its libellula quadrimaculata, four spotted chaser. Easier to tell from above but check wing spots and abdomen width

Cheers, Keith

14 hours ago, Keith Burdett said:

Think its libellula quadrimaculata, four spotted chaser. Easier to tell from above but check wing spots and abdomen width

Cheers, Keith

2 hours ago, Keith Burdett said:

This is depressa -

BG58NK.jpg

OHhh dear now I'm in a quandary. Unfortunately I do not have any more images showing the dragonfly from a different angle.

Allan

EDIT: After looking more closely at my image and an image on the web from the same angle I have come to the conclusion that my image shows a male libellula quadrimaculata, four spotted chaser after all.

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction Keith and appologies for building your hopes up John.

ITMA

No problem. I'd recommend this to anyone doing much with dragonflies and damselflies in the uk and Ireland. Species can be very similar with overlapping variations and the differences are often literally minute. Often good to get poor or distant shots from good ID angles as well as The shot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragonflies-Great-Britain-Ireland-Hammond/dp/0946589003

Cheers, Keith

Archived