Portrait verses Landscape sales?

hello Forum

I don't  know how accurate it is but I was reading that portrait alignment is more suited to commercial photography than landscape. Is it worth shooting a subject in both alignments even if the subject doesn't necessarily demand it?

Also does any other aspect ratio do particularly well in regards to stock sell-ability?

Cheeers

Portrait is worth it. I also try to leave room for type at the top and bottom of the portrait image. This way it lends itself to cover use.

Sometimes a square if it can be cropped both portrait and landscape

6 hours ago, John Rodgers said:

hello Forum

I don't  know how accurate it is but I was reading that portrait alignment is more suited to commercial photography than landscape. Is it worth shooting a subject in both alignments even if the subject doesn't necessarily demand it?

Also does any other aspect ratio do particularly well in regards to stock sell-ability?

Cheeers

I have sold 52 photos of the same exact thing, shot on the same day, but in different formats. I stood on the same bench to take them, so all are absolutely exactly the same. This is what sold.

3 Panorama

7 Portrait

14 Landscape

28 Square

About 3:1 landscape in sales, 10:7  in submissions.

I usually take both if it suits the scene but that ratio rather suggests I could save a lot of time by being more selective.

But then it's the advertising question: which ones to choose?

Thanks all,

Its hard to break the habit of only choosing the most appropriate aspect ratio and then shooting tight, especially if the end result looks like a 'badly taken photo' . 

But this isn't my portfolio so something to work on. 

Archived