hello

Mahesh Dilip

Hello,

I am new to alamy and photography. I would like suggestions and tips regarding how to get started. I use a Nikon D5200 and i can't produce any JPEG images with a file size of  17mb or above. Please help.

Thank you,

Mahesh

Jpegs are compressed. The 17mb requirement refers to the uncompressed size. Your camera will produce 24mbs. If you are just starting out in photography you should be aware that this is a professional stock agency. You might want to start with some classes or a camera club.

Paulette

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 11:23, Mahesh Dilip said:

Hello,

I am new to alamy and photography. I would like suggestions and tips regarding how to get started. I use a Nikon D5200 and i can't produce any JPEG images with a file size of  17mb or above. Please help.

Thank you,

Mahesh

Where to start??

Get into the habit of looking at photos in the newspapers, magazines books etc, ask yourself why that particular photo was used?  Did it tell a story etc. Take a close look at the photos in the images found sections of this forum.

Read  books/magazines/Internet articles on the techniques of photography and on composition. Practice the techniques that you read about. 

I used to spend quite a bit of time looking at Flickr and still occasionally upload,. While there is a whole load of dross floating about on Flickr there are also some excellent photos. Immerse yourself in the subject.  Again ask yourself why you like a particular photo, what are the elements that make it successful?

To succeed here you can follow a news route - probably only viable for a full time shooter,   upload photos related to a niche subject related to a hobby or interest, or upload general interest photos. If the latter you will need a few thousand photos before you start to make a regular income.  Some very talented folk make good money from a relatively small collection (2-3 thousand), honed to perfection over the years by gradually adding improved shots and deleting less successful images.

Many, me included,  go for the numbers game, avoiding too many similar shots, but accepting that you need to have several thousand photos available in order to succeed.

Then we have keywording, at least as important as the photos themselves. 

It's a long hard road, there is massive oversupply in the industry and fees are on a downward spiral. This is not a route to easy money. You might enjoy your photography more by remaining an amateur and forgetting about shooting for stock.

Just to add to what Bryan said, if you have a strong interest in a particular type (or types) of subject matter -- e.g. people, nature, architecture, food, animals, etc. -- concentrate there for starters. "Follow your bliss and the money will follow" as the saying goes, but it probably won't be lot of money when it comes to stock photography. Good luck.

18 minutes ago, Mahesh Dilip said:

Thank you all for your inputs , 

all my submissions have been rejected so far so I figured I must be doing something wrong but I don’t know what. Still trying though. 

Take some time out ... learn the art and skills of photography and enjoy doing so like most of the regulars here have in the past, then come back and have a look

You will be beating yourself up with a big stick if you try using Alamy as a way of learning how to use your camera, lens and produce quality images 

Archived