Alamy claim for DACS on my behalf

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Contact DACS quickly. They are very helpful people. 

I just did but still a bit confused/stunned/annoyed.  I've received marketing/promotion emails from them right up to three weeks ago on my primary email address but the last reminder went to a now closed website email address in March.  Aarrgghh!! 

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I had a similar problem last year. I had a dud email address which stopped forwarding messages. So although I thought I had submitted my claim I actually hadn't done so fully. I'd submitted my ISBN part but must have been holding out looking for more and somehow thought that I had submitted but hadn't. Of course I didn't receive any warning emails. It was only when people on the forum were discussing their payments that I contacted them and received the totally shocking news that I had not submitted a claim. They were calm and helpful and sorted something out for me despite the very late date. Of course, no guarantees but they are great people, so do get in contact. 

Glad to hear you go it sorted OK.

As I have always claimed myself I put mine in in time. It's just that Alamy also claimed after me and screwed things up (looking like I was trying to double dip). DACS are very good and looked into my claim to see that I hadn't mentioned Alamy and accepted my claim to be true. Alamy's claim on my behalf will therefore be rejected.

The opt in is just crazy in my opinion and I expect Alamy will keep trying. Perhaps I should email DACS stating that they should ignor all future Alamy claims.

4 minutes ago, Dayve said:

. Alamy's claim on my behalf will therefore be rejected.

The opt in is just crazy in my opinion and I expect Alamy will keep trying. Perhaps I should email DACS stating that they should ignor all future Alamy claims.

I'm sure Alamy will want to be reasonable, but beware of finding yourself in breach of contract if you do.

I emailed DACS for clarification yesterday but the e-mail was bounced back due to a problem with their email server, giving a delivery service notification 

Maximum Retry Queue Age Reached

I think it is a problem which would affect others, but in case it's just me, did anyone else succeed in emailing DACS yesterday?

On 04/05/2018 at 11:51, Dayve said:

Hi All,

I had an email today from DACS stating that Alamy had made a claim on my behalf this year. I have never consented for Alamy to make any claims and, indeed, they haven't in previous years. I contacted DACS who confirmed that they had claimed on my behalf.

The problem is that Alamy will take 50% if they make a claim for you. Claiming is very easy and allows you to claim on other non-Alamy image use too (book covers in my case). I'm surprised that Alamy have done this as is very nearly messed up my claim.

Has anyone else had Alamy doing this?

Just wondering. You say you have been claiming DACS for some time, and obviously being paid by them, without DACS mentioning that Alamy had made a claim also until this year.

Have you checked your Alamy income for other years and seen if you had any payments from Alamy listed as "Other income". This will be probably be DACS payments paid to you after Alamy have taken their cut. (50% + expenses)

If Alamy have not made any payment to you for the years that you have sold images you have on Alamy, but DACS have, have then you probably have a case for Alamy to answer.

Allan

Archived