Are multiple versions of the same photo OK?

Just now, RedSnapper said:

Yes, as long as they all pass QC......be carefiul with the 'filtered' one, i'd suggest, because that's where all sorts of unwanted artifacts / softness may be generated by the processing....

km

Thanks for your reply!

Thomas, not to say b&w are never used, but the thing is, a buyer can easily make a b&w out of a color image, Your black and white vision (developing, contrast)  may not be the end user’s vision, so I prefer to leave it to them. If you have the color version uploaded, then, there you go. 

Betty

Not too many clients are searching for B&W, sorry to those who love the look of monochrome but this is a business, not a salon. We have at least one contributor who only submits B&W; that's how he chooses to work and that's totally OK

If you have uploaded both B&W and colour versions of a shot, the Alamy diversity algorithm may cause your B&W version  to appear on page one of a search and your colour version on page three for instance. They certainly wont be presented side-by-side.

The client only looks at the first two pages of the search and there you are, shot squarely in your foot.

For reasons unknown -- the mysterious "diversity algorithm" perhaps -- the black and white versions of my images usually appear higher up in search results than the colour ones. My b&w image that licensed this month had no colour version available. I thought that it looked so much better in b&w that I didn't bother uploading the original colour image.

P.S. I missed Robert's post above. He mentions the diversity algorithm as well. Curious how it would favour b&w.

On 4/19/2018 at 17:40, Betty LaRue said:

Thomas, not to say b&w are never used, but the thing is, a buyer can easily make a b&w out of a color image, Your black and white vision (developing, contrast)  may not be the end user’s vision, so I prefer to leave it to them. If you have the color version uploaded, then, there you go. 

Betty

True enough. Guess I'm still naive enough to believe in the occasional miracle. B)

Archived