Alamy portfolio integration on your website

klod

Greetings all,   I want to integrate my Alamy portfolio to a website I am building.  I seek inspiration and would love to see examples. Those of you who have done that can you share links to your website.  Thank you

Yes, this is very useful and I will use that code provided by Alamy, but what I want to see is how others integrated that into their website.  I want visitors to my site to view photos, not a search box. I can certainly hide the search box and build the page so that it displays the photos. Perhaps using lightboxes is a better strategy so I can groups by theme. 

For any images I have on Alamy I put a link below which links directly to the Alamy page - for example....

http://www.lowefoto.co.uk/scotland/scot-298.html

Here's the HTML code should you wish to use it - just replace AREF=?????? with the Alamy reference number...

<FONT SIZE=4 COLOR="#C0FFFF"><I>Get this image from <A HREF="http://www.alamy.com/image-details.asp?AREF=??????" TARGET=BLANK>alamy</A></I></FONT>

23 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

For any images I have on Alamy I put a link below which links directly to the Alamy page - for example....

Here's the HTML code should you wish to use it - just replace AREF=?????? with the Alamy reference number...

<FONT SIZE=4 COLOR="#C0FFFF"><I>Get this image from <A HREF="http://www.alamy.com/image-details.asp?AREF=??????" TARGET=BLANK>alamy</A></I></FONT>

I really love your site its along the lines of what I have in mind for mine.  Simple layout one does not get distracted and its easy to navigate. You obviously invested a lot of work into it.  In terms of workflow, I see you have almost 20 0000 photos here, makes me wonder if/where you use scripts to prepare the web version and to upload to your website.

Thanks for the compliments.  It was a lot of work initially but these days it's just a case of copying pages and altering the references and text.  I keep thinking I ought to modernise it a bit but then I can always think of more interesting things to do.

I don't use any scripts as such, except for batch resize in Photoshop.  After preparing for Alamy I choose which I'm going to put on my site, batch resize to 500 on the long side (manually resize for panoramas etc.) then a quick whizz through the auto-enhance functions in an old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7.  I have various keyboard shortcuts set up in a programmable keypad.  Paint Shop Pro has a keyboard shortcut CTRL-Y which will repeat the previous command, so if I sharpen an image I can then whip through the others with a single key press.  Then, say, increase saturation, and again just whizz through them with the same key press.  Then batch convert to jpeg and upload to my site with Filezilla.

No doubt I could use a script of some sort but then not every image needs the same treatment - I often find the website images need a bit of a boost compared to the ones I send to Alamy - probably because I'm converting to sRGB when opening in Paint Shop Pro.

14 hours ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Thanks for the compliments.  It was a lot of work initially but these days it's just a case of copying pages and altering the references and text.  I keep thinking I ought to modernise it a bit but then I can always think of more interesting things to do.

I don't use any scripts as such, except for batch resize in Photoshop.  After preparing for Alamy I choose which I'm going to put on my site, batch resize to 500 on the long side (manually resize for panoramas etc.) then a quick whizz through the auto-enhance functions in an old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7.  I have various keyboard shortcuts set up in a programmable keypad.  Paint Shop Pro has a keyboard shortcut CTRL-Y which will repeat the previous command, so if I sharpen an image I can then whip through the others with a single key press.  Then, say, increase saturation, and again just whizz through them with the same key press.  Then batch convert to jpeg and upload to my site with Filezilla.

No doubt I could use a script of some sort but then not every image needs the same treatment - I often find the website images need a bit of a boost compared to the ones I send to Alamy - probably because I'm converting to sRGB when opening in Paint Shop Pro.

Interesting. I used PaintShop for many years, then Photoshop. Now I mostly use GIMP. I found a command prompt image editor - ImageMagick that seems ideal to convert, resize and watermark large batches and that one can integrate in a website.  I have a large database of street art that I want to offer as free downloads on my site as screen background as strategy to attract traffic. I will not resize those manually or review individually.  Images for sale absolutely, like you say, each requires its own treatment. 

23 minutes ago, klod said:

I have a large database of street art that I want to offer as free downloads on my site as screen background as strategy to attract traffic.

I'd be careful with that - Alamy have removed hundreds of images of street art due to copyright issues.

32 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

I'd be careful with that - Alamy have removed hundreds of images of street art due to copyright issues.

All stock agencies do that - I do not even try anymore... But those photos are ideal for sharing for free.

On 3/25/2018 at 23:49, Vincent Lowe said:

Wow - Great pictures of Scotland! Some fabulous skies and lighting.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/03/2018 at 09:26, M.Chapman said:

Wow - Great pictures of Scotland! Some fabulous skies and lighting.

Mark

Thank you Mark.

My apologies for not replying sooner but I was off yet again to Scotland on the 28th March and just got back on Monday.  Mixed weather, from brilliant to rubbish - in other words, typical Scottish weather (and too early for the midges..!).

Archived