Watermark

Guest Andrew Gill

Guest Andrew Gill

Hello,

I'm a relatively new contributor, currently uploading thousands of archival, mainly Victorian and Edwardian, photographs. I'm delighted with results so far and believe that the placing of images on Google will significantly increase sales. However, I find that the watermark is almost invisible on many of my photos and I'm concerned that when they appear on Google, many will be copied and used illegally. I realise that there has probably already been a debate about this but wondered if others share my concern. Is Alamy giving consideration to strengthening the watermark prior to googlisation?

Andrew 

Guest Andrew Gill

Hello,

In the recent CEO's video blog, he says that they're working towards putting all images on Google. Have I misunderstood something? 

Andrew

Google bots are not allowed on Alamy so images don't appear on Google unless they have been published online by a third party.

A Google image search on "my name, alamy" produces hundreds of the watermarked thumbnails woth the reference number border.

Google bots are not allowed on Alamy so images don't appear on Google unless they have been published online by a third party.

A Google image search on "my name, alamy" produces hundreds of the watermarked thumbnails woth the reference number border.

It doesn't on my search. I only get avatars and pictures that appear in the forum threads, especially the "have you found" threads.

I've tried with your name as well, different pictures but still forum based.

In answer to Andrew, I think it was said that Alamy would look at allowing Google bots to scan the library.

If so, the watermark should be a bit stronger. I would imagine it could lead to more sales but with a weak watermark the thefts will increase too.

• 5 months later...
Guest Andrew Gill

I'm still very concerned about my Alamy images appearing on Google without a much stronger watermark. Most of them are sepia-toned, so the current watermark is virtually invisible and could be removed very easily. Hopefully, when Alamy takes this step, we will be given the opportunity to opt out. On a separate issue, 26 sales last month ...... very encouraging! 

Archived