Chromebooks pros and cons?

I'm considering buying a Chromebook to replace my aged (seven years old) Acer Aspire Netbook that has served me well but has become impossibly slow and crash-prone. I would want the Chromebook mainly for travel and of course wouldn't be doing any photo editing with it. However, I would like to be able to use the new Alamy Image Manager (AIM), which is an unusable mess on the Netbook. What are some of the pros and cons of Chromebooks?

P.S. I had thought of getting a tablet for travelling, but they seem more app-oriented. It looks as if you can get more done with a Chromebook. Not a big fan of tiny screens and virtual keyboards either.

Also looking for something of this ilk, I'm probably going to get a Chuwi hi12. It has both Android and Windows, detachable keyboard, full-size USB ports, good reviews, and it's way cheap. Fuji Camera Remote, which allows for a large live-view screen, is important to me. Chromebooks also offer this option, but connectivity with FCR can be a problem, apparently. This article's writer says, "So far I’ve found that using the Chromebook delivers on all points save the flakiness. The flakiness I’ve experienced thus far has centered entirely on the Fujifilm Camera Remote app itself -- sometimes it connects, sometimes it does not. Right now the “not” is the majority of my experience." I'm still looking for a review of the Chuwi with this particular in mind. I've got no problem connecting it with my Android phone, but the screen is too small.

8 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I have one and use it when travelling. I have figured out how to upload RAW files to Photoshelter when there is good WiFi. 

I use it with an external mouse because I fund scrolling up and down web pages difficult. Before this I had an even more basic Hudl palmtop from Tesco supermarket so the Chromebook seems like an upgrade to me. 

Useful to check emails, make bookings especially as I do not have any sort of mobile phone. Also not so expensive that it would be a huge financial loss if it is nicked/broken. 

I haven't tried using AIM on it. Or at least only for very tiny things. Best to leave all that until home. 

Thanks for the response, Ian. One of the things that I like about my clunky Netbook is that it has a decent sized HD for backing up RAW files when travelling. Uploading RAW files to PhotoShelter sounds like an interesting option. Hadn't thought of that. Is it possible to attach a small external HD to Chromebooks?

Would be interested in hearing from someone who has tried using the new AIM with a Chromebook.

53 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

No knowledge of chromebook, but I do 90% of my work in AIM on my iPad. No problems except I can’t combine single tags into phrases.

Surely a Chromebook could do the same, you’d think.

Betty

That sounds a bit inconvenient, especially when updating old images. A wireless mouse might (?) help. Not familiar with iPads.

The old AIM worked fine on my Netbook, but progress has blown it out of the water.

On 1/27/2018 at 18:48, John Mitchell said:

I would want the Chromebook mainly for travel and of course wouldn't be doing any photo editing with it.

Why is that, John? I understand you can get LR on a Chromebook. I don't travel anymore, but if something where to happen to my iMac, like death from old age, could a Chromebook not make it as a budget replacement?  I use both Gmail and the Chrome browser now. 

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Why is that, John? I understand you can get LR on a Chromebook. I don't travel anymore, but if something where to happen to my iMac, like death from old age, could a Chromebook not make it as a budget replacement?  I use both Gmail and the Chrome browser now. 

Good question. I'm not sure what editing software will or won't run on Chromebooks. My understanding is that they are more limited than regular laptops -- e.g. Chromebooks have small solid state hard drives. Don't know how good the screens are either. As a rule, I don't like doing much photo editing when travelling (little that I've been able to do recently), but it would be useful to have the option. Shall have to do some research.

I had a high-end Apple laptop and I still hated to work up my raws on it.  I did some while traveling and when I got home and transferred everything to my desktop, I was unhappy with those I’d done. Too dark, too punchy.

I reworked them all.

I think, from what I’ve read, they can’t hold a calibration when moved about.

Betty

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had a high-end Apple laptop and I still hated to work up my raws on it.  I did some while traveling and when I got home and transferred everything to my desktop, I was unhappy with those I’d done. Too dark, too punchy.

I reworked them all.

I think, from what I’ve read, they can’t hold a calibration when moved about.

Betty

Interesting. As mentioned, I would use the Chromebook for more mundane things such as e-mail, maps, research, taking notes, etc. while travelling, not for photo editing or processing. I prefer to do all of that at home on the big box.

I would like to know if the Chromebooks' non-Windows operating systems are compatible with the new AIM, though.

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting. As mentioned, I would use the Chromebook for more mundane things such as e-mail, maps, research, taking notes, etc. while travelling, not for photo editing or processing. I prefer to do all of that at home on the big box.

I would like to know if the Chromebooks' non-Windows operating systems are compatible with the new AIM, though.

That would be exactly how I use my iPad. I don’t edit on it, but I sat on my sofa comfortably and worked in AIM every evening until I finished my legacy images. Now I prepare my approved new stuff in AIM on the iPad. 

Like you, editing images are strictly done on my desktop.

I hope you can find your answer, John. That would be perfect for you during your recovery and beyond.

Betty

• 1 month later...

I'm being plagued with password problems at the moment, but my Chrome browser is 65.0 now, and it at least seems to be able to get onto Alamy dashboard. 

I need to know if on a Chromebook I can use LR and PS CC and upload to Alamy. Any resent news? 

Edo

Archived