OS High Sierra and Photoshop Compatibility

Since I upgraded to High Sierra OS 10.13.1 (from OS 10.12), my Photoshop (CS6) crashes whenever I use Nik Collection within CS6. 

My short research shows that there is an issue of compatibility between Photoshop CC (and earlier releases) & OS 10.13 High Sierra.  Please refer to the following link.  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macoshighsierra.html

Anyone who uses Nik Collection regularly with Photoshop, please do not upgrade your OS until the problem is sorted out between Adobe and Apple.

To solve the problem, I decided to revert to previous OS 10.12 by using Time Machine.  I read a couple of articles about How To and it seems fairly straight forward.  

Has anyone done this before?  Is there anything I need to be aware or be prepared, etc?  Any experience or advice would be very much appreciated.

On Apple’s help page, it says "If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, you can easily revert to a previous version of macOS if you experience trouble after installing an update. To select a Time Machine backup from an SMB server, your Mac must be running macOS Sierra.". What does it mean?  What is SMB server?

I would be very grateful for your replies.

Thanks

Sung

I've heard High Sierra isn't compatible with quite a few programs which is why I haven't yet updated from Sierra.

There are two ways to revert to an earlier system. You can format your hard drive and restore from a Time Machine back-up. I did this a couple of years ago when I needed to revert to Yosemite, The other option is to go to your previous purchases in the App Store and download the installer directly from Apple.

This is discussed  on the Apple Support Site as well as how to make a boot disk of your system once you're downloaded the system.

https://support.apple.com/

5 minutes ago, Trevor Chriss said:

I believe in the news this morning Apple said there is a problem with Sierra and are dealing with it. Not sure of the details as I am a PC man.

Here's some info on the vulnerability

https://www.wired.com/story/macos-high-sierra-hack-root/

1 hour ago, fotoDogue said:

I've heard High Sierra isn't compatible with quite a few programs which is why I haven't yet updated from Sierra.

There are two ways to revert to an earlier system. You can format your hard drive and restore from a Time Machine back-up. I did this a couple of years ago when I needed to revert to Yosemite, The other option is to go to your previous purchases in the App Store and download the installer directly from Apple.

This is discussed  on the Apple Support Site as well as how to make a boot disk of your system once you're downloaded the system.

https://support.apple.com/

Thanks, fotoDogue.  I am planning to revert to the previous OS Sierra (10.12) by using a Time Machine backup, as I didn't have any issues with it.  

I checked out the 2nd option you suggested but the only OS listed in previous purchases is Maverick which I think maybe it is too outdated.

I have never done this before, so I was feeling a bit nervous about it.  Hope everything goes fine.

Thank you again for your advice.

Sung

1 hour ago, Trevor Chriss said:

I believe in the news this morning Apple said there is a problem with Sierra and are dealing with it. Not sure of the details as I am a PC man.

Yes, it is said on Adobe Help page "Our engineering team is working with Apple to correct the root problem as soon as possible".  

Sung

26 minutes ago, SFL said:

Thanks, fotoDogue.  I am planning to revert to the previous OS Sierra (10.12) by using a Time Machine backup, as I didn't have any issues with it.  

I checked out the 2nd option you suggested but the only OS listed in previous purchases is Maverick which I think maybe it is too outdated.

I have never done this before, so I was feeling a bit nervous about it.  Hope everything goes fine.

Thank you again for your advice.

Sung

This is pretty obvious but worth stating nevertheless. Make sure you back up any data manually such as images, emails etc, particularly anything you created since installing High Sierra before attempting the restore.

Also if you were to reinstall an older OS from scratch then you would have to reinstall all your software as well so the Time Machine option is probably better if you are not confident with thos. Having said that, reinstalling a Mac OS from scratch is fairly simple and straightforward and you end up with a new clean system. I used to do this regularly when I was a WIndows user many years ago although it is not really necessary with Macs I find.

29 minutes ago, MDM said:

This is pretty obvious but worth stating nevertheless. Make sure you back up any data manually such as images, emails etc, particularly anything you created since installing High Sierra before attempting the restore.

Also if you were to reinstall an older OS from scratch then you would have to reinstall all your software as well so the Time Machine option is probably better if you are not confident with thos. Having said that, reinstalling a Mac OS from scratch is fairly simple and straightforward and you end up with a new clean system. I used to do this regularly when I was a WIndows user many years ago although it is not really necessary with Macs I find.

I have just finish reverting to OS 10.12 by using a Time Machine backup.:)  It was fairly straightforward and simpler than I feared.  As I said, I've never done it before so I was a bit nervous. All my images and 99% of docs I create are stored on an external hard drive, so I didn't have to recover the files I created after the installation of High Sierra, which made the whole procedure much simpler. 

I guess it is like cleaning digital sensor.  Once you've done it, it will get easier second time. 

Thank you for your tips, MDM.   Your input is always helpful.

Sung

40 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

Thank you for the links, ReeRay.  I came across the same suggestion/solution else where, but when I use Nik filters, which is not that frequent, I, however, like the result editable, so that I can go back to it if necessary.  Therefore it was not a viable solution.

Sung

Archived