No Metadata fail on latest Upload?

Hi, I'm surpised that my latest upload (93 images) has failed on the new criterion "No metadata" despite it not being my test submission which was back in 2012. I don't include camera data as a rule and it hasn't affected my previous submissions - what can I do please (I know, go back and reload all my photos having first edited in the "export with metadata" option from Lightroom which will be a real pain!) - help! Thank you, John

20 hours ago, John Burnham said:

Hi, I'm surpised that my latest upload (93 images) has failed on the new criterion "No metadata" despite it not being my test submission which was back in 2012. I don't include camera data as a rule and it hasn't affected my previous submissions - what can I do please (I know, go back and reload all my photos having first edited in the "export with metadata" option from Lightroom which will be a real pain!) - help! Thank you, John

I think there’s no help for it but do as you suggested. Export again. Why it wasn’t caught by QC before is a mystery.

Betty

From the Failure Reasons PDF:

No metadata

For your first ‘test’ submission we need all

images to contain valid camera data.

As far as I can see there's no talk of metadata anywhere else.

It is either a new QC requirement or a new QC person.

Or is there indeed something

Fish Eye - Ballan wrasse (Labrus bergylta) - Stock Image

fishy about OP's files?

;-)

They don't look like phone images to me btw.

wim

edit: I hate Lightroom, but in Photoshop, you would open the file and copy paste the edited file in a new layer and hit Flatten Image and Save.

That would not take that much time. You could even use the same file every time and just Save As and copy/paste the file names of the edited images.

(Yes this is also the recipe for cheating QC.)

Hi John, I'm just curious, is there any particular reason why you don't like to include the metadata when exporting from LR/uploading to alamy? It just tends to make the workflow so much easier, especially if you can already set metadata presets when importing into LR (makes a lot of sense for large batches with similar themes, ie. travel, events) and then just add more during the edit (add keywords, captions etc). I usually still fine tune and change/add keywords in the IM (except for news uploads, where I tend to do the added info in Photo Mechanic as it's the faster software and LR takes too long), and once in a while they need to be re-visited anyway to be updated, but overall, it's quite nice to have it all there. I also work in PS, but less so for stock pics, mostly just for client work, but still export the finals from LR. But then everyone has their own routine.

It was also always my impression that alamy want the metadata included on all uploads, so I'm quite surprised to hear that it's first upload only now. 

Hi imageplotter, There's no reason really - I don't always want dates to appear but perhaps metadata is more useful than I thought? I need to do a bit of homework as my workflow is somewhat haphazard... according to Alamy QC they only require the metadata on the 'test' submission as Wim states above. Thanks, John

You should not have been failed for this and I would think an email to QC should set it right. I have uploaded images without metatdata without any QC problem although I did have a problem later in that AIM didn't have the date taken and substituted the date uploaded instead. There has never been a requirement to include metadate until the recent requirement for first time submissions.

However, I'm also wondering why it would be such a pain to re-export the images including the metadata, presuming you haven't edited them in an external program given that you don't have Photoshop. Surely it is just modifying one line in the export preset and re-uploading - slow internet connection, limit on uploading?

Hi MDM, Firstly I have a relatively slow internet connection that takes ages to upload, plus my haphazard workflow means I've got to search for the right files to upload again from LR. Secondly I don't want to be penalised in future QC uploads for having failed this time. I've emailed contributors@alamy.com in the hope they can quickly rectify it. Many thanks all, John

I add a keyword - submitted - to the image in LR when I am making a submission to make images easy to find if I need to. I also add a keyword such as Alamy when the image has been accepted. I also add a colour label to make them even easier to find although I think keywords (written to xmp for raw files or embedded for other files) are better than labels as they are not LR specific. While I am a big fan of LR, you never know what might happen down the line and keeping options open is a very good idea I think.

If your plea to QC is not answered, one thing you could try is to sort by Edit Time which should sort all recently edited images if the uploaded images are your most recently edited images.

Archived