suggestions for making Manage Images more user friendly

ottertrack

Hi,

There are a couple things you could do to make the Manage Images much more user friendly for me:

1.  Let users set default settings for Attributes, especially for "What is this image?," "Pseudonyms & Licence types.  I always use the same selections on those and I imagine many other contributers do also, so it'd save a lot of time compared to having to manually select each time, even batch labeling.  These defaults could of course be easily overridden when needed.  "Is this image digitally altered?" would also be good to be able to assign a default answer for.

And of course it'd be good if the default settings apply when working on single images and on batches.

2.  99% of the time my Comprehensive keywords and Main keywords are identical.  (The only time they're not is when the list of Comprehensive keywords is too long to fit into the more limited number allowed in Main keywords.)  So when editing batches it'd be really helpful to have a box to tick that would copy the Comprehensive keywords into the Main keyword box for all images.

Hope I've explained those suggestions in a way that makes sense.

Thanks.

Hello ottertrack,

Are you using Image Manager 2.4? Because there you can choose default licence typ and PSeudonym. You even can select all the images that are ready for editing and put into 1 batch and set them all in once with the same settings.

About keywords.... there is no need to copy main keywords to comprehensive ones. Its even not good for search results of you photos. Just put them on Main and keep comprehensive ones empty if you dont have more. Just look for example at the following link:

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/help/captions-keywords-descriptions.asp

Good luck! :)

Hi,

There are a couple things you could do to make the Manage Images much more user friendly for me:

1.  Let users set default settings for Attributes, especially for "What is this image?," "Pseudonyms & Licence types.  I always use the same selections on those and I imagine many other contributers do also, so it'd save a lot of time compared to having to manually select each time, even batch labeling.  These defaults could of course be easily overridden when needed.  "Is this image digitally altered?" would also be good to be able to assign a default answer for.

And of course it'd be good if the default settings apply when working on single images and on batches.

2.  99% of the time my Comprehensive keywords and Main keywords are identical.  (The only time they're not is when the list of Comprehensive keywords is too long to fit into the more limited number allowed in Main keywords.)  So when editing batches it'd be really helpful to have a box to tick that would copy the Comprehensive keywords into the Main keyword box for all images.

Hope I've explained those suggestions in a way that makes sense.

Thanks.

Thanks. There have been lots of suggestions similar to these for Manage Images across other threads also and we are aware there are some improvements that would be welcomed. We've collated all suggestions to date and they are forming our future plans for the tool. :)

Thanks Mirco.  

I am using Image Manager 2.4, and use the batch processor, but am not aware of any way to set defaults.  If you know of a way please let me know. 

The keywords embedded in my images automatically populate to the Comprehensive Keyword field, so I just copy them to the Main Keyword field.  Do you think that there's any disadvantage to having the same keywords in each field?

And another suggestion for Alamy concerning Manage Images:

It'd be very helpful to have a way to have two folders or some other way to manage model and property releases so that older ones can be stored in a separate place.  As it is, I have to wade through every model release I've ever uploaded in order to access current ones to attach to images.  Most of the old ones are ones I won't ever need to access again, or if I do, it'd be rare.  But having them mixed in with newer ones sure makes finding the newer ones much more time consuming.  (Alamy, if you see this suggestion please let me know, otherwise I'll put this one a new post.)

Thanks.

Hello Ottertrack,

Yes for the Pseudonyms & Licence types there is option to put on default. I also activated it. When you are in Manage Images 2.4 you will see on the top next to upload releases the choice defaults and Peudonyms. There you can set it.

And about having keywords twice i also think it will have disadvantage. For expample:

A client wants to look for a telephone image. Hypotetically if you would have only 1 keyword "telephone" under your image and the clients types it in the search window then your images will come as very relevant and will come very high in the search results. If you would have two times the keyword telephone the client would have to type two times the word in the search window to get it as high as in the first search. So every inrelevant or double keyword will bring you only more down in the search results.

I hope it is clear explained :).

Mirco

By the way ..... you have a very good portfolio. It would be pitty to not get the maximum of it.

Thanks again Mirco.  I was able to find the defaults for the pseudonyms and license types.  Now if Alamy would add options for defaults for image type and some of the others that'd be even better.

Also appreciate your explanation of the double keywords and the words on my portfolio!

Archived