Question about refunds.

On 28th. July 1017 I had an image licensed for $34.43.

On 8th. September 2017 the same image was licensed again, this time for $28.43. Licensing details on each occasion were identical so I am assuming that it's the same purchaser, I could be wrong.

On 19th.September 2017 the license taken out on 28th.July 2017  for $34.43 was cancelled.

So it would appear that someone has taken the time to cancel the earlier license and reorder thus making a saving of $6.00 and me a loss of $6.00.

It could be that the image was licensed twice by mistake and so naturally one was cancelled. It seems strange that there is a price difference between July and September.

I wonder if anyone has had a similar occurrence take place? 

I'm looking forward to the usual witty replies. 

It is quite a regular occurrence, unfortunately. You are lucky in that it did resell - some refunds are just refunds.

Alamy are unusual in that they report sales at time of invoice rather than waiting for the money to actually arrive. This means that things can change. Customers change their minds, and renegotiate prices. Also sometimes the terms of the license change (or were just plain wrong the first time).

It's something to get used to - don't spend the money until it's in your account.

I just had a similar experience that totally confused me. A sale dropped in Friday and was followed soon after by a refund for a few cents more. After I wrote to CR i discovered the image had been licensed in December and then refunded in August. It was licensed relicensed the same day and refunded a few days ago. Then it was licensed again. It's like getting nearly one free year on a 5 year license.

15 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

I one once had a nice refund this month.  Image sold for $75, refunded next day then relicensed the same day for $180.

Doesn't happen often though.  Usually it's the other way around,.

Jill

So there's still hope! I've had that happen on rare occasions. Always good to hear.

On 10/6/2017 at 09:56, John Mitchell said:

Be thankful if a refunded image is resold even if it is at a lower rate. I had a nice $100 sale pop up this week only to be refunded the next day. I've been hoping it would show up again, but it looks as if the sale might be caput.

By way of an update, this sale mysteriously reappeared today, same price, same terms, which is fine by me. Hope it sticks this time. :D

Archived