Alamy search terms suggestions

When you enter a word or phrase into Alamy's main search box, a list of suggested search terms always appears beneath the box. I often consult these suggestions when adding keywords to my images. However, I wonder how the lists are generated. I assume that they are made up of common, related search terms that clients have used. But are they? Any thoughts on this?

I have always assumed that they are previous and fairly recent searches by clients.  When I try to search for images found in a magazine, the search term I think of using is often already there as if the buyer used it previously even when it is not the most obvious combination of words.

Pearl

8 hours ago, Pearl said:

I have always assumed that they are previous and fairly recent searches by clients.  When I try to search for images found in a magazine, the search term I think of using is often already there as if the buyer used it previously even when it is not the most obvious combination of words.

Pearl

That's my assumption as well -- i.e. that they are search terms that have been somehow gleaned from those used by registered clients. But I have no idea if that's the case.

I'd always assumed they were based on combinations of tags already present within Alamy's collection of images as I've never seen one of these "suggested searches" fail. I imagine Alamy's search algorithm starts as soon as you start typing tag the first tag (so it's fast). At this point it already knows all the tags in the images that match what has been typed so far, and so suggests the next most common tag or tags, etc.

Or maybe it just records successful search tag combinations and picks from those?

Mark

21 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I'd always assumed they were based on combinations of tags already present within Alamy's collection of images as I've never seen one of these "suggested searches" fail. I imagine Alamy's search algorithm starts as soon as you start typing tag the first tag (so it's fast). At this point it already knows all the tags in the images that match what has been typed so far, and so suggests the next most common tag or tags, etc.

Sounds like a good theory to me.

'Searching for a high quality compact, light SLR or mirror-less camera, preferable full frame. My Canon 5D's are getting to heavy for international Travel. I am 78 and need less weight to carry. Any suggestions?' or tags 'personal messages'.

Archived