Fuji X E1 Battery life

I'd taken the grand total of 25 pictures with my brand new Fuji X E1, left in my my camera bag overnight,  (turned off I hasten to add)  this morning the camera failed to turn on, a fresh battery was required.  There is a possibility the camera had 'frozen' and reinserting the first battery may have cured it, although having said that it seems to be happily going through its charging process at present.

Anyone had a similar experience ?

Gary

I've been using an X-E1 for a few months with a Fuji and a Hahnel battery with no problems. At the risk of stating the obvious, it could just be a dud battery. However, it may be worth checking that the 'Quick Start Mode' is off (Page 84 of the manual) - never used it but it does leave the camera in a standby status thus draining the battery. Hope you get it sorted soon - it's a great camera.

I also use Fuji and Hahnel Batteries with my X-E1 and get 300 or so pix per charge. I have Quickstart, review and all the power savings options switcjed off - I manage power myself. Only time I had a problem was when I left it switched on overnight/ 24 hours.

I also use Fuji and Hahnel Batteries with my X-E1 and get 300 or so pix per charge. I have Quickstart, review and all the power savings options switcjed off - I manage power myself. Only time I had a problem was when I left it switched on overnight/ 24 hours.

As a separate note, If the batteries are the same / similar to the ones used by the X Pro 1, watch out for putting them in the wrong way. There is a cutout that stops you putting them on charge the wrong way but not in the camera. Thought I was going mad one day after putting in a battery I knew was fully charged and nothing..... I then took it out and put it back in checking it was in the right way and it worked  :wacko:

I've been using an X-E1 for a few months with a Fuji and a Hahnel battery with no problems. At the risk of stating the obvious, it could just be a dud battery. However, it may be worth checking that the 'Quick Start Mode' is off (Page 84 of the manual) - never used it but it does leave the camera in a standby status thus draining the battery. Hope you get it sorted soon - it's a great camera.

The batteries are genuine Fuji at £60 a throw,  I'm prepared to look at all options, Its not a case of a reversed battery as it was working OK,   quick start mode is off.        I want to love this little camera but, boy is it weird, like when you turn it on ( and off) theres a whurr and  a clunk like the IS is firing up, strange.

Thanks for all your advice

I've found the same thing with the X-Pro 1 - a day's shooting and it's in need of a recharge. Using the LCD screen to set the auto focus points seems to be a major battery drain. I'm used to a few days from my Canon DSLR's, so 300 shots or so was a rude surprise!

I've found the same thing with the X-Pro 1 - a day's shooting and it's in need of a recharge. Using the LCD screen to set the auto focus points seems to be a major battery drain. I'm used to a few days from my Canon DSLR's, so 300 shots or so was a rude surprise!

300 shots here as well but that is similar to the Nex system. I would imagine most mirrorless cameras are the same/similar when compared to a DSLR. Fuji as with a lot of mirrorless cameras use the sensor to focus (CDAF) and therefore use more juice. DSLR's don't have to do this.

GaryK - "whurr and  a clunk like the IS is firing up, strange" 

That does sound a little strange. Is it not the lens motor bringing the lens into focus? The 35mm can be a little noisy but most of the others tend to be quite quiet.

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with the Fujifilm X-E1, but it's fortuitous for me, because I was considering exactly the same move - sell my D700 (which isn't being used much) and get the X-E1 as a 2nd camera. I am very reluctant to let the D700 go because it is such an awesome camera and compliments the D800 in many ways. But two heavy bodies with battery grips and the bulky fast glass means I rarely take both anywhere. Did you consider the X-PRO1 (which I understand is a bit more robust) or the NEX7 (which Trey Ratcliff seems to love)? I'd be interested in anyone's experiences with them (in addition to those described above). Your blog post about choosing new lenses was very interesting. Maybe this DX zoom is worth your consideration with the rave reviews.http://www.slrlounge.com/new-sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-aces-dxomark-tests-beating-out-brand-zooms-and-zeiss-primes cheers

I bought the X-E1 on impulse a few months back with the 18-55m kit lens and M mount adaptor.

I've never enjoyed a camera so much in all my years of shooting.

The kit lens is incredibly sharp throughout the range and I frequently shoot at 1600-2500 ISO with no QC problems. I would go so far as to say it's equal to their primes. But my preference is to use my Leica and Zeiss M glass. The rendition of these lenses on the X trans sensor has to be seen to be believed and easily outperforms my Canon 5D MKII with L glass. The blessing of course is the weight advantage. I travel with body and 5 M lenses in a small shoulder bag and hardly notice it's there. Battery life is some 300 shots and I carry two spares. Performance is drastically improved using the faster SD cards and I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro class 10 95MB/s.

Build quality and handling is superb and having live view, 10x zoom, VF histogram with a very accessible compensation dial makes manual focusing and exposure child's play.

It really is a great camera, and if it ever evolves to full frame that's game over.

I bought the X-E1 on impulse a few months back with the 18-55m kit lens and M mount adaptor.

The kit lens is incredibly sharp throughout the range and I frequently shoot at 1600-2500 ISO with no QC problems. I would go so far as to say it's equal to their primes. But my preference is to use my Leica and Zeiss M glass. The rendition of these lenses on the X trans sensor has to be seen to be believed and easily outperforms my Canon 5D MKII with L glass. The blessing of course is the weight advantage. I travel with body and 5 M lenses in a small shoulder bag and hardly notice it's there. Battery life is some 300 shots and I carry two spares. Performance is drastically improved using the faster SD cards and I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro class 10 95MB/s.

Build quality and handling is superb and having live view, 10x zoom, VF histogram with a very accessible compensation dial makes manual focusing and exposure child's play.

It really is a great camera, and if it ever evolves to full frame that's game over.

This and more for me. I did have a Nex 7 and Canon 5dmkii but they have all been sold now. I have an X Pro 1 with the 14, 35, 60, 18-55 and 55-200 lenses and about to add an X E1 as a second / backup body. Image quality is superb, amazing ISO performance, light weight, great to use but most importantly, the lens quality is 1st class and for me, this makes it easy to have the confidence to invest into the system knowing that camera bodies come and go but these lenses will serve me well over the coming years.

I really like the optical view finder of the pro version, especially for street / city shots.

I think one of the issues that made me return my X E1 (apart from the freeze up) was the fact that the only software that will effectively convert the RAW files is Iridient Developer, whilst LR and ACR are OK, greens and foliage tend to come out mushy if Iridient is not used, I have tried it;

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/fuji-x-e1-raw-conversion-lightroom-vs.html

As a lot of my professional work is garden and plant photography meaning Iridient would be necessary, so complicating my LR to CS6 workflow which I was not keen on. Apparently the X E1 firmware update seems to have improved the ease of RAW file conversion but the camera was returned before I had time to find out.. 

Gary

I think one of the issues that made me return my X E1 (apart from the freeze up) was the fact that the only software that will effectively convert the RAW files is Iridient Developer, whilst LR and ACR are OK, greens and foliage tend to come out mushy if Iridient is not used, I have tried it;

http://garyksmithphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/fuji-x-e1-raw-conversion-lightroom-vs.html

As a lot of my professional work is garden and plant photography meaning Iridient would be necessary, so complicating my LR to CS6 workflow which I was not keen on. Apparently the X E1 firmware update seems to have improved the ease of RAW file conversion but the camera was returned before I had time to find out.. 

Gary

Ahhh... you should have used Capture One ;)  That is recognised as as good as if not better than Iridient. No smearing or watercolour effect there B) . It's more like LR in terms of capabilities, cataloging, layers, un-matched colour control. They do 60 day trials of both the Express and Pro version. The pro version costs quite a bit more than LR for the initial purchase but future upgrades are the same price as LR. One of my favourite tools is their keystone tool, very clever and easy to use.

I am also enjoying the X-E1 based on IQ, high ISO performance, weight and ergonomics. The autofocus is a tad zippier following the latest firmware update but, combined with occasional lag with the EVF, I still wouldn't want to use it for serious 'action' photography. Not a problem for me as an amateur but strongly suspect it wouldn't have the versatility for many pro photographers. Also agree with comments on battery life so you need to carry at least one spare (Hahnel is working well as a cheap alternative to the costly Fuji battery) and a very fast SD card is a must. One gripe that hit me at a family event is with the lack of a standby mode on the Fuji EF-X20 flash. It's a neat little unit but turns itself completely off when the camera is turned off and it takes 2-3 secs to power it back on. The only work round appears to be leaving the camera on permanently which obviously makes battery life even more of an issue. Imagine doing wedding photography with that...  

I bought an x.pro a couple of weeks ago with 35mm lens as I didn't really want to cart my d700 kit over here to Indonesia again. After a week of using it,have to say that it is one of the best purchases I have made in a long time and have no doubts in building on this system further ! Will be keeping the Nikon also but think it will be spending most of It's time in It's bag !

Archived