Bacon Sandwiches and the Eiffel Tower

Got your attention?!

Just a point of interest. Having a lazy morning before heading out to get something saleable on the memory card and just caught Victoria Derbyshire on BBC2 (UK TV),talking about politics. A photo of Theresa May looking uncomfortable eating from a cone of chips was shown, and the photo of Ed Miliband eating a bacon sandwich was mentioned, but not shown because it was "much too expensive" - they couldn't afford it! Apparently, a bit of basic research tells me that the photo was taken by a staff tog at the Evening Standard. I'm not sure if this is good news or bad?! Print papers restricting use of sought-after images with a high price barrier. Should Alamy be doing the same? If so, how should the value of such images be decided? Or should we all decide upon a value of our own images before we upload, so that we don't moan when our own perception of value is trashed when we get minimal return for our individual bacon sandwich images?!

Interestingly, directly after that report, they showed an image (reproduced as a Twitter screenshot) of the Eiffel Tower illuminated in the colours of the French flag. So editorial reproduction of the tower at night is OK (and presumably free for the BBC) as long as it's from a social media site?

Just a couple of interesting points I thought I'd share. Ready to be enlightened!

I saw this. My initial reaction was 'good for the photographer', charging a sensible fee. Of course 'too expensive' might simply mean 'more that we are willing to pay now that we have got used to getting so much free material from our weather watchers' which doesn't bode well. 

It may say more about the budgets at the BBC than the price of the photo. It could well be that the lady earned more uttering the words that the image was too expensive than the too expensive image would have cost.

At a recent event I spoke to a colleague who was approached by the corporation for one of his images, but would not pay than the price they would pay from one of the big macro agencies. It was profanity inducing amount, far less than even the micros sell for. They ended up using a library image from years ago.

The question of how we value our images and where to place them accordingly is a good one. Alas, many of our customers put the value at zero.

They are not customers..... ;) or, clients.

Phil

Archived