Anyone here using illustrator? I've downloaded a 7 day free trial, but in spite of watching videos, I'm lost.

Is this a program one needs to take classes in? Anyone self taught?

Maybe there are books, like Adobe Illustrator for Dummies.

Betty

I have tried to tackle Illustrator, but it has a very steep learning curve. I think online classes would be good,   The free trial isn't long enough to grasp the software.  Maybe start with one that isn't as complex so when you start on Illustrator you have some base knowledge.  I actually have an older Corel Draw and still haven't got around to learning that.  Took me long enough to "master" PS and Premiere.  Not enough time to invest in another piece of difficult software.

You could check out the Illustrator free classes at Adobe CreativeLive

Might help.  I have watched a lot of their PS and ACR classes when they used to have PhotoShop week.  Don't think they have it anymore.

Jill

Thanks for the link, Jill.

Yes, I can see that it is a very difficult program. Yet it appeals to me because of the creative aspect.

I'll cram the videos in the next week and play with it. I agree with you 7 days isn't long enough. I know I won't learn it in that short time, but I might get an idea whether I think I can learn it eventually. I remember when I got my first Photoshop I felt much like I do with Illustrator.

I bought a book that got me started with basics. White balance, Exposure adjustments, and a couple of other things that got me rolling.

Over time, I learned the more difficult stuff.

I may go to Barnes & Noble tomorrow and peruse a how-to book. I'm much better at learning from books than videos. They go too fast for me to absorb it. I learn by doing..need the program open in front of me while I apply a step from the book.

I'd like to know how well vectors sell here and if it is even worth my while.

If it's any encouragement Betty, my 15 year old Thai stepdaughter uses this programme extensively in her school creative art classes, and she's gaining quite a reputation in the province for her work including commendations and a few gallery displays.

Tutoring started from scratch about 6 months ago. Sure, kids learn faster but it can be done.

Good luck, wish you success.

I don't use Adobe Illustrator but if you want to try some free classes try Scott Kelby's www.kelbyone.com - they do a free 10-day trial. I'm an on-going subscriber and I know they do a range of training courses including Illustrator. They used to allow course 'rentals' as well but I'm not sure if they still do that or just the subscription now.

ReeRay, thanks for the encouragement. How about shipping that child over as my personal tutor? :) And Gary, you supplied useful information. I used several of Kelby's PS books back in the day and like his style.

My biggest problem is while attempting to learn something difficult, someone in the house keeps interrupting and breaking my concentration.

My mother was an excellent seamstress who could cut out her own patterns from newspaper. Sewing was not my forte. I tried to sew for my children, and every time I thought I was about to grasp the pattern instructions, one of the kids needed attention. I eventually gave it up for a lost cause. I did sew up a couple of cute outfits, but at great cost to my sanity! :D

With Illustrator, I need seclusion but won't get it.

Give this a try:

https://inkscape.org/en/

totally free

Thanks for that link. I just got home from buying an expensive book on Illustrator, though.

But my thought is once I grasp how to use the tools and actually create something worthwhile in Illustrator, I can try

Inkspot.

Thanks again.

Archived