Thank you Alamy

I

I use LR. I work my way through the development panel, then open into PS. Use layers if needed. There are some things I do that are MUCH easier to do in PS.

Then keyword using my created templates when they fit, which saves much time. Templates allow me to never have to search for an old image to copy keywords.

My folder arrangement is good enough for me.

And I thought you were advocating "Bridge". Sorry. :(

Allan

I am advocating Bridge, Allen. Bridge is a part of PS, and once I develop and save my final image in PS, all of my desktop folders can be viewed in Bridge. I open the folder I want to keyword those images.

I highlight an image, or if I have several similars, I highlight the set.

Here's where I use one of my created templates if any apply to the new images. If not, I keyword from scratch. My keywords when uploaded stay in the exact order I did them. That's why I love keywording in Bridge.

It's win-win for me. New images in today's MI, are then a breeze. Since I keyworded in Bridge in the order of importance, the first 10 tags are the ones I choose for supertags.

I can do a new image in a minute, including optional.

Betty

Edited to add: I develop in LR first, then open into PS where I do my cropping, spotting and any uses of layers. Then save. A copy goes back into LR.

That is close to how I do it Betty, except I don't use LR.  Keep thinking of it, since I do pay for it.

Most people having issues are those who keyword in LR.

Thank goodness I use Bridge.

Jill

Jill - if getting the order of your tags into Alamy is the most important thing in your workflow, then perhaps you are on the right track but there are far more important things in my book than getting keywords in the right order, moreover given that the significance of word/tag order is very dubious in any case.

I would suggest you try out Lightroom sometime as it is far faster and better for managing images than Bridge (and it does have metadata templates very similar to Bridge), the raw converter is identical to ACR and LR has lots of other goodies that are not available elsewhere.

I have tried LR, but keyword order is important to me and I like my work flow. Works for me. Time is something I do not have a lot of, so maybe when I do have some extra, I'll give it a go.

But like Betty, if I do have extra time might spend it on a whole different type of creative software such as Illustrator. Gotta expand those horizons.

Jill

Allan, if you should ever have use for layers, you can't do it in LR.

Occasionally when I can't tweak the sky color enough in LR, I make a layer copy in PS then lower exposure of the image until the sky looks bluer.

I then take a brush and brush out the effect on the foreground getting the brightness back. I can lower opacity of the brush for the horizon brush work to 40-50% or less so that I can't discern a tell-tale change there. Works a charm. Brush needs to be all the way soft.

You can do the same thing in reverse when you need to lighten the foreground while keeping the sky the same. Just have to flatten the layers when done.

I would say the adjustments I make in LR are basic. Usually that's enough. Until it's not, and I need to do critical work in PS.

And, of course, keywording in Bridge! :D

Betty

Not in LR but it has filters which are very good, when used properly, to do the same as you are doing in PS. I also have PSE and I can use layers there if needed.

Lend me your Bridge to try then. :)

Allan

Adobe Bridge is apparently free.  I think you need to have an Adobe ID, but you can create one without spending any money.  http://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

Thank you for the link. I now have Bridge on my system.

Now to start learning how it works and get to some keywording eventually.

Allan

Adobe Bridge is apparently free.  I think you need to have an Adobe ID, but you can create one without spending any money.  http://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

Brilliant!

I'm not sure how you'll access your images, Allan. I have my image folders on my desktop until after they're uploaded to Alamy. I access them in Bridge by choosing "Desktop" left hand panel. There I see a list of my folders that are titled by date and prevailing subject.

I choose a folder from this list and keyword the Tiffs, convert to jpegs and save those to my upload folder.

I'm not sure where your images are located, Allan.

There is a place in LR where you choose "Open in" where you could choose Bridge. I always open into PS, work on them, save Tiffs into my desktop folder alongside the Raws, so not sure how that would work.

Betty all my images are on duplicated external disks, even the images that are waiting to be worked on. That way it keeps my internal SSD as free as possible from all the rubbish which accumulates over time.

I have my own filing system and do not use LR's except for synching with my system when working on files.

I have folders for each camera I have, and had, over time. Example for camera "A" there is a folder with sub folders "1 Temp hold" (for raws newly downloaded from camera), "2 Ready for submission" ((for raws, tiffs, jpegs and LR's sidecar file), (when the jpeg is loaded to Alamy the remainder go into)), "3 Waiting QC", (when passed - most of the time - they are transferred to), "4 Waiting keywording.

When the keywording is complete these files are then transferred to a separate folder for that camera which has named subfolders so the images can be found quickly later if needed. e.g. there is one subfolder for "Cambridge city" and all images, whenever taken, of Cambridge go into that folder.

The jpegs go into a folder "Alamy - jpegs waiting upload". There are three subfolders "Ready for submission", "Waiting QC" and "Waiting keywording". There are subfolders in which each completed batch of jpegs are placed with it's own reference number. These folders are moved along the line depending on the situation with Alamy.

When the batches folders of jpegs (with their own reference number) are shown to be "On Sale" at Alamy they all go into a final "Alamy on sale" folder.

All these folders are synched to LR and can be found there if needed.

Sounds complicated - and may be for some - but it works for me and I know where all images are at any given time.

Allan

Looks like you know your system well. I only have folders on my desktop until the images pass QC, then they go to two mirrored drives on my desk and are deleted from my computer.

Good luck with Bridge, Allan.

Thank you Betty.

I am only going to try it out and tinker with it to see how it would fit into my workflow. Then if it fits and is useful I will use it, if not I won't.

Allan

Archived