Live News Images - Care in Editing

Ed Endicott

I uploaded a few live news images over the weekend covering the Aurora COLORADO theater shooting memorial events.  Alamy edited the captions for me...which most times I appreciate, but this time, I think it was a bit counter-productive.

I uploaded 7 images of a carpenter who drove 18 hours from Aurora, Illinois to Aurora Colorado to erect crosses at the memorial.  Alamy added "Aurora, Illinois 20 July" to the beginning of my caption.  The event did not take place in Aurora, Illinois, it took place in Aurora Colorado.  These 7 images were later grouped in with 13 images in which "Aurora, Colorado 20 July" was added...which is fine, but there needs to be some consistency and it should be evident when grouping images together.

I uploaded an additional 25 images - and Alamy added "© Ed Endicott / WYSIWYG Foto, LLC/Alamy Live News" to the end of the caption.  I don't understand why anyone would do this - Alamy just changed the search algorithm to not include the location of the image or the pseudonym of the contributor because it was messing with the search results.  By adding this to my caption, if not changed, these images will show up in searches for my pseudo (without using the advanced search feature), just about any image search that has the word "live" in it which is counter productive to the search.  Imagine if my name were John Denver - the search results would be ridiculous.  This completely goes against the recent changes.

I appreciate the help when it comes to captions but please, take some care in how the editing is done.

Thank you.

uploaded an additional 25 images - and Alamy added "© Ed Endicott / WYSIWYG Foto, LLC/Alamy Live News" to the end of the caption.  I don't understand why anyone would do this - Alamy just changed the search algorithm to not include the location of the image or the pseudonym of the contributor because it was messing with the search results.  By adding this to my caption, if not changed, these images will show up in searches for my pseudo (without using the advanced search feature), just about any image search that has the word "live" in it which is counter productive to the search.  Imagine if my name were John Denver - the search results would be ridiculous.  This completely goes against the recent changes.

Ed,

News is News and Stock is Stock. Both are prepared differently.

Alamy added your/their credit line to the Caption because that's where Newspaper editors expect to see it. Once your image ceases to be "news" and reverts back to "secondary editorial" i.e. regular stock, you'll just have to do some editing to the caption. That's the way it is for everyone.

J

uploaded an additional 25 images - and Alamy added "© Ed Endicott / WYSIWYG Foto, LLC/Alamy Live News" to the end of the caption.  I don't understand why anyone would do this - Alamy just changed the search algorithm to not include the location of the image or the pseudonym of the contributor because it was messing with the search results.  By adding this to my caption, if not changed, these images will show up in searches for my pseudo (without using the advanced search feature), just about any image search that has the word "live" in it which is counter productive to the search.  Imagine if my name were John Denver - the search results would be ridiculous.  This completely goes against the recent changes.

Ed,

News is News and Stock is Stock. Both are prepared differently.

Alamy added your/their credit line to the Caption because that's where Newspaper editors expect to see it. Once your image ceases to be "news" and reverts back to "secondary editorial" i.e. regular stock, you'll just have to do some editing to the caption. That's the way it is for everyone.

J

Then why was it only done to 25 of the 45 images submitted?  ...and why hasn't this been done to the images I've submitted via the live news feed in the past?  There is no consistency with the policies of the current search algorithm and someone was asleep at the wheel mislabelling the location of the images.

I was tweeted by a newspaper picture desk once to say the location on my captions were wrong. I knew they were correct when I sent them so I checked on the agency website where I had sent them for syndication.

Due to the time difference they had been picked up by the agency picture desk in India who had decided that 'Scotland' should be changed to 'England' in the caption. There probably isn't even a town of that name in England. Not long after they again changed a caption which made it inaccurate. I've also seen it happen to other photographer's captions.

The newspaper obviously thought it was my mistake and made me look incompetent. I've not sent anything to that agency since then.

The Times has a picture today taken by the Chief Sports Photographer captioned that it was taken near Berwick-upon-Tweed (which is in England). The Bass Rock is in the background which places it in North Berwick (in Scotland) 40 miles away.

Did the Chief Sports Photographer get his caption wrong or did the picture desk change it for him?

I wish I had read this post before uploading my first images to Alamy live news tonight. I have missed the credit line as well. How late do they work?.

Thank you Alamy they just tidied up my caption and added the credit line.

Regards

Craig

The Times has a picture today taken by the Chief Sports Photographer captioned that it was taken near Berwick-upon-Tweed (which is in England). The Bass Rock is in the background which places it in North Berwick (in Scotland) 40 miles away.

Did the Chief Sports Photographer get his caption wrong or did the picture desk change it for him?

I recently had an image on a major website that was photographed in New York City but identified as Iran. My caption is correct on Alamy but I guess the picture editor liked the idea of Iran better.

Beyond that, I just presumed the Alamy Live News credit was automatically inserted when the photos were processed by the system. However, I just noticed photos uploaded to Alamy Live News over the weekend lack the Alamy Live News credit while images uploaded during the week have it.

I recently had an image on a major website that was photographed in New York City but identified as Iran. My caption is correct on Alamy but I guess the picture editor liked the idea of Iran better.

Beyond that, I just presumed the Alamy Live News credit was automatically inserted when the photos were processed by the system. However, I just noticed photos uploaded to Alamy Live News over the weekend lack the Alamy Live News credit while images uploaded during the week have it.

I always add the credit line at the bottom of the caption so it should be there anyway. Alamy add location details at the beginning even if I have it in my caption.

I uploaded a few live news images over the weekend covering the Aurora COLORADO theater shooting memorial events.  Alamy edited the captions for me...which most times I appreciate, but this time, I think it was a bit counter-productive.

I uploaded 7 images of a carpenter who drove 18 hours from Aurora, Illinois to Aurora Colorado to erect crosses at the memorial.  Alamy added "Aurora, Illinois 20 July" to the beginning of my caption.  The event did not take place in Aurora, Illinois, it took place in Aurora Colorado.  These 7 images were later grouped in with 13 images in which "Aurora, Colorado 20 July" was added...which is fine, but there needs to be some consistency and it should be evident when grouping images together.

I uploaded an additional 25 images - and Alamy added "© Ed Endicott / WYSIWYG Foto, LLC/Alamy Live News" to the end of the caption.  I don't understand why anyone would do this - Alamy just changed the search algorithm to not include the location of the image or the pseudonym of the contributor because it was messing with the search results.  By adding this to my caption, if not changed, these images will show up in searches for my pseudo (without using the advanced search feature), just about any image search that has the word "live" in it which is counter productive to the search.  Imagine if my name were John Denver - the search results would be ridiculous.  This completely goes against the recent changes.

I appreciate the help when it comes to captions but please, take some care in how the editing is done.

Thank you.

The Live News team takes accuracy extremely seriously and obviously we made a mistake here and we are very sorry about it. We edit dozens and dozens of captions every day, correcting mistakes and ensuring that the captions conform as much as possible to Alamy's house style which is of the form:

Location, Country. 1st April, 2013. Caption. Credit

We try very hard not to introduce our own mistakes into this process, but once in a while we mess up (in this case, there were two Auroras mentioned in the caption, Aurora, Illinois and Aurora, Colorado and we took the wrong one for some of the captions and the correct one for others). If we do make a mistake, by all means have a justified pop at us in the forum but first of all contact the news team on news@alamy.com or +44 1235 844 690 and we will sort it out immediately and apologise profusely for having made the error.

We will continue to add credit information to news images captions. This is what our customers expect and what the vast number of our contributors wish.

Once again, apologies for the error. We will redouble our efforts to try and prevent mistakes in the future.

Many thanks,

The Alamy News Team

Archived